From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Jack Hillier, Hokusai: Paintings, Drawings and Woodcuts (Phaidon, London, 1955) (OCLC 5517124) - This is a well-known, moderate length introduction to Hokusai; it has been reprinted many times since its original publication.
- Matthi Forrer, Hokusai (Rizzoli, New York, 1988) (ISBN 0-8478-0989-7) - This is the most detailed work on Hokusai; a large, comprehensive, coffee-table book.
- Richard Lane, Hokusai: Life and Work (E.P. Dutton, New York, 1989) (ISBN 0-525-24455-7) - Another extensive survey of his life and work.
For readers who want more information on specific works by Hokusai, these particular works are recommended.
- James A. Michener, The Hokusai Sketch-Books: Selections from the 'Manga' (Charles E. Tuttle, Rutland, 1958) (OCLC 26157495)
- Muneshige Narazaki, (translated John Bester), Masterworks of Ukiyo-E: Hokusai - The Thirty-Six Views of Mt. Fuji (Kodansha, Tokyo, 1968) (OCLC 89771)
- Ichitaro Kondo, (translated Charles S. Terry), The Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai (East-West Center, Honolulu, 1966) (OCLC 11979716)
- Jack Hillier, F. W. Dickens, Fugaku Hiyaku-kei (One Hundred Views of Fuji by Hokusai) (Frederick, New York, 1960)
- Henry D. Smith II, Hokusai: One Hundred Views of Mt. Fuji (George Braziller, New York, 1988) (ISBN 0807611956)
- Peter Morse, Hokusai: One Hundred Poets (George Braziller, New York, 1989) (ISBN 0807612138)
The bibliography of all works on Hokusai is lengthy. These works were consulted in the preparation of this article.
- Theodore Bowie, The Drawings of Hokusai (Indiana University, Bloomington, 1964) (OCLC 1523734)
- Jack Hillier, Art of Hokusai in Book Illustration (Sotheby Publications, London, 1980) ISBN 0520041372
- Matthi Forrer, Willem R. van Gulik, Heinz M. Kaempfer, Hokusai and His School: Paintings, Drawings and Illustrated Books (Frans Halsmuseum, Haarlem, 1982) ISBN 9070216027
- Charlotte van Rappard-Boon, Hokusai and his School: Japanese Prints c. 1800-1840 (Catalogue of the Collection of Japanese Prints, Rijksmuseum, Part III) (Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1982)