- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Hoover, Herbert C. Memoirs. New York, 1951–52. 3 vol; v. 1. Years of adventure, 1874–1920 online; v. 2. The Cabinet and the Presidency, 1920–1933 online; v. 3. The Great Depression, 1929–1941. online
- Myers, William Starr and Walter H. Newton, eds. The Hoover Administration; a documented narrative. 1936.
- Hawley, Ellis, ed. Herbert Hoover: Containing the Public Messages, Speeches, and Statements of the President, 4 vols. (1974-1977)
- Hoover, Herbert Clark and Lou Henry Hoover, trans., De Re Metallica, by Agricola, G., The Mining magazine, London, 1912
- Hoover, Herbert C. The Challenge to Liberty, 1934
- Hoover, Herbert C. Addresses Upon The American Road, 1933-1938, 1938
- Hoover, Herbert C. Addresses Upon The American Road, 1940-41, (1941)
- Hoover, Herbert C. The Problems of Lasting Peace, with Hugh Gibson, 1942
- Hoover, Herbert C. Addresses Upon The American Road, 1945-48, (1949)
- Hoover, Herbert C. 40 Key Questions about Our Foreign Policy: Answered in Important Addresses and Statements Delivered between 1941 and 1952 (1952)
- Dwight M. Miller and Timothy Walch, eds; Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt: A Documentary History. Greenwood Press. 1998.
Jeansonne, Glen. "The Real Herbert Hoover." Historically Speaking 12, Number 4, September 2011, 26-29. <login may be required.>
A comprehensive encyclopedic biography of Hoover with an objective history of his presidency in comparison with both predecessor and successor presidents. An important corrective for a balanced view of Hoover.
- bibliography at the Miller Center.
- Tracey, Kathleen. Herbert Hoover–A Bibliography: His Writings and Addresses. Volume 58 of Hoover Institution bibliographical series. Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution Press, 1977.
- Burner, David. Herbert Hoover: A Public Life. (1979). good one-volume biography.
- Clements, Kendrick A. Hoover, Conservation, and Consumerism: Engineering the Good Life. University Press of Kansas, 2000.
- Dodge, Mark M., ed. Herbert Hoover and the Historians. (1989).
- Hatfield, Mark. ed. Herbert Hoover Reassessed (2002).
- Hawley, Ellis. Herbert Hoover and the Historians (1989).
- Hoff-Wilson, Joan. Herbert Hoover: Forgotten Progressive. (1975). short biography
- Nash, George H. The Life of Herbert Hoover: The Engineer 1874-1914 (1983), the definitive scholarly biography.
- Nash, George H. Life of Herbert Hoover: The Humanitarian, 1914-1917 (1988), vol. 2.
- Nash, George H. The Life of Herbert Hoover: Master of Emergencies, 1917-1918 (1996), vol. 3
- Nash, Lee, ed. Understanding Herbert Hoover: Ten Perspectives (1987)
- Smith, Richard Norton. An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover, (1987) covers 1933-64.
- Walch, Timothy. ed. Uncommon Americans: The Lives and Legacies of Herbert and Lou Henri Hoover Praeger, 2003.
- Carcasson, Martin. "Herbert Hoover and the Presidential Campaign of 1932: The Failure of Apologia" Presidential Studies Quarterly 1998 28(2): 349-365.
- Darling, Jay N. As Ding Saw Herbert Hoover (1996) editorial cartoons by Darling (mostly pro-Hoover)
- DeConde, Alexander. Herbert Hoover's Latin American Policy. (1951).
- Doenecke, Justus D. "Anti-Interventionism of Herbert Hoover" Journal of Libertarian Studies, Summer 1987, 8(2), pp. 311-340. online version
- Fausold, Martin L. The Presidency of Herbert C. Hoover. (1985) standard scholarly overview.
- Fausold Martin L. and George Mazuzan, eds. The Hoover Presidency: A Reappraisal (1974).
- Hamilton, David E. From New Day to New Deal: American Farm Policy from Hoover to Roosevelt, 1928-1933. (1991).
- Hart, David M. "Herbert Hoover's Last Laugh: the Enduring Significance of the 'Associative State' in the United States." Journal of Policy History 1998 10(4): 419-444.
- Houck, Davis W. "Rhetoric as Currency: Herbert Hoover and the 1929 Stock Market Crash" Rhetoric & Public Affairs 2000 3(2): 155-181.
- Liebovich, Louis W. Bylines in Despair: Herbert Hoover, the Great Depression, and the U.S. News Media (1994)
- Lisio, Donald J. The President and Protest: Hoover, MacArthur, and the Bonus Riot, 2d ed. (1994).
- Lisio, Donald J. Hoover, Blacks, and Lily-whites: A Study of Southern Strategies (1985)
- Olson, James S. Herbert Hoover and the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, 1931-1933 (1977).
- Romasco, Albert U. The Poverty of Abundance: Hoover, the Nation, the Depression (1965).
- Robinson, Edgar Eugene and Vaughn Davis Bornet. Herbert Hoover: President of the United States. (1976).
- Schwarz, Jordan A. The Interregnum of Despair: Hoover, Congress, and the Depression. (1970). Hostile to Hoover.
- Sobel, Robert Herbert Hoover and the Onset of the Great Depression 1929-1930 (1975).
- Wilbur, Ray Lyman, and Arthur Mastick Hyde. The Hoover Policies. (1937). In depth description of his administration by two cabinet members.
Hoover in Other Contexts
- Barber, William J. From New Era to New Deal: Herbert Hoover, the Economists, and American Economic Policy, 1921-1933. (1985).
- Best, Gary Dean. The Politics of American Individualism: Herbert Hoover in Transition, 1918-1921 (1975)
- Bornet, Vaughn Davis, An Uncommon President. In: Herbert Hoover Reassessed. (1981), pp. 71-88.
- Britten, Thomas A. "Hoover and the Indians: the Case for Continuity in Federal Indian Policy, 1900-1933" Historian 1999 61(3): 518-538.
- Barry, John M. Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America (1998), Hoover played a major role in rehabilitating the Mississippi River Valley after this flood.
- Calder, James D. The Origins and Development of Federal Crime Control Policy: Herbert Hoover's Initiatives Praeger, 1993.
- Ferrell, Robert H. American Diplomacy in the Great Depression: Hoover-Stimson Foreign Policy, 1929-1933. (1957).
- Gaddis, Vincent. Herbert Hoover, Unemployment, and the Public Sphere: A Conceptual History, 1919–1933. (University Press of America, 2005. xxx, 180 pp. isbn 0-7618-3235-1.)
- Gelfand, Lawrence E. ed., Herbert Hoover: The Great War and Its Aftermath, 1914-1923 (1979).
- Goodman, Mark and Gring, Mark. "The Ideological Fight over Creation of the Federal Radio Commission in 1927" Journalism History 2000 26(3): 117-124.
- Hawley, Ellis. Herbert Hoover as Secretary of Commerce: Studies in New Era Thought and Practice (1981). A major reinterpretation.
- Hawley, Ellis. "Herbert Hoover, the Commerce Secretariat, and the Vision of an 'Associative State,' 1921-1928." Journal of American History 61 (1974): 116-140.
- Hutchison, Janet. "Building for Babbitt: The State and the Suburban Home Ideal" Journal of Policy History 1997 9(2): 184-210
- Lichtman, Allan J. Prejudice and the Old Politics: The Presidential Election of 1928 (1979), statistical analysis of voting patterns
- Lloyd, Craig. Aggressive Introvert: A Study of Herbert Hoover and Public Relations Management, 1912-1932 (1973).
- Ortiz, Stephen R. "Rethinking the Bonus March: Federal Bonus Policy, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Origins of a Protest Movement," Journal of Policy History, 18 (no. 3, 2006), 275–303.
- Weissman, Benjamin M. Herbert Hoover and Famine Relief to Soviet Russia: 1921-1923 (1974)
- Wueschner, Silvano A. Charting Twentieth-Century Monetary Policy: Herbert Hoover and Benjamin Strong, 1917-1927. Greenwood, 1999. edition
- Zalewski, David A. "A Reconsideration of the Revenue Act of 1932," Essays in Economic and Business History, 24 (2006), 56–68.