Helmuth von Moltke the Elder/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
portions from U.S. Air Force University
- Addington, Larry H. The Patterns of War Since the Eighteenth Century. Bloomington, Indiana University Press. 1984. 31 p.
- Bucholz, Arden. Moltke, Schlieffen, and Prussian War Planning. New York, St. Martin's, 1991. 352 p.
- Crompton, Samuel Willard. 100 Military Leaders Who Shaped World History. San Mateo, CA, Bluewood Books, 1999. 112 p. Helmuth Von Moltke, p. 79.
- Friedrich, Otto. Blood and Iron: From Bismarck to Hitler the Von Moltke Family's Impact on German History. 1st ed. New York, HarperCollins, 1995. 434 p.
- Goerlitz, Walter. History of the German General Staff, 1657-1945. New York, Praeger, 1953. 508 p.
- The Man of Silence, Helmuth von Moltke, pp 69-102.
- Griffiths, William R. The Great War. Wayne, NJ, Avery Pub. Group, 1986. 224 p. (The West Point military history series)
- Macksey, Kenneth. From Triumph to Disaster: The Fatal Flaws of German Generalship from Moltke to Guderian. Mechanicsburg, PA, Stackpole Books, 1996. 240 p.
- Makers of Modern Strategy: From Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age, edited by Peter Paret with the collaboration of Gordon A. Craig and Felix Gilbert. Princeton, NJ, Princeton University Press, 1986. 941 p.
- The Prusso-German School: Moltke and the Rise of the General Staff by Hajo Holborn, pp. 281-295.
- Moltke, Schlieffen, and the Doctrine of Strategic Envelopment, by Gunther E. Rothenberg, pp 296-325
- Moltke, Helmut Graf von. Extracts from Moltke's Correspondence Pertaining to the War 1870-71, translated by Harry Bell. Fort Leavenworth, KS, Army Service School Press, 1911. 229 p.
- Moltke, Helmuth Graf von. The Franco-German War of 1870-71. Novato, CA, Presidio Press, 1992. 447 p. This is a reprint of a 1892 citation which is still available.
- Moltke, Helmuth. Moltke on the Art of War: Selected Writings, edited by Daniel J. Hughes, translated by Daniel J. Hughes and Harry Bell. Novato, CA, Presido Press 1993. 275 p.
- Moltke, Helmuth Graf von. Moltke's Military Correspondence, 1870-71. Brookfield, VT, Ashgate, 1991. 133 p. (Modern Revivals in Military History) Gregg Revivals in association with Dept. of War Studies, King's College, London.
- Moltke, Helmuth Graf von. Strategy; Its Theory and Application: The Wars for German Unification, 1866-1871. Westport, CT, Greenwood Press, 1971. 229 p. (The West Point Military Library)
- Moltke's projects for the campaign of 1866 against Austria; Moltke's correspondence during the campaign of 1866 against Austria; Moltke's correspondence pertaining to the war 1870-71. Moltke's Tactical Problems from 1858-1882, edited by the Prussian Grand General Staff and authorized translation by Karl von Donat. London, W. H. Allen, 1894. 175 p.
- Morris, William O. Moltke: A Biographical and Critical Study. New York, Haskell House, 1971.
- Van Creveld, Martin L. Command in War. Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press, 1985. 339 p
- The Victors, edited by Peter Young. Chicago, Rand McNally, 1981. 256 p. Von Moltke at Sedan, 1870, pp 86-103
- Whitton, Frederick E. Moltke. London, Constable and Company, Ltd., 1921. 326 p. (Makers of the Nineteenth Century)