Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz/External Links
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner and consider archiving the URLs behind the links you provide. See also related web sources.
- Letters from and to Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz within the collection of manuscript papers of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz registered at UNESCO's "Memory of the World"
- HISTORY OF SCIENCE: Samurai Mathematician Set Japan Ablaze With Brief, Bright Light. Dennis Normile.
- Isolated from the West, Seki Takakazu churned out some of the finest mathematical work of his time. Centuries later, scholars are finally giving him his due.
- His most significant work focused on determinants, numbers that capture characteristics of matrices, a field he pioneered a year or two ahead of his European contemporary Gottfried Leibniz.... Seki worked on determinants simultaneously with Leibniz, another mathematician whose work went unrecognized for decades because he never published it. "There were striking similarities in mathematical thinking" between the two men, says Eberhard Knobloch, a Leibniz scholar at the Berlin University of Technology. If the Eastern and Western mathematical sages had been in contact, Knobloch says, it probably would have advanced mathematics worldwide.