From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
(Redirected from Goths)
Goth and Gothic can refer to:
- Goths (people): A Germanic people that wandered from Scandinavia to Eastern and Southern Europe and that became prominent in the last days of the Roman Empire and the ensuing Dark Ages
- Goths (subculture): Add brief definition or description
- Gothic music: A genre of rock music (new wave), often with an esthetic, gloomy atmosphere and followed by a peculiar subculture.
- Gothic novel: A form of fiction which became popular in England in the second half of the eighteenth century involving elements of the supernatural designed to give a pleasing frisson of terror to the reader.
- Gothic architecture: A style of architecture that had its origins in the building of great cathedrals in France from the 12th to the mid-13th century and was known as the "French style" (opus Francigenum) before being appellated as 'gothic' during the Renaissance period.