Glass-Steagall Act/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Glass-Steagall Act, or pages that link to Glass-Steagall Act or to this page or whose text .
- Carter Glass : Add brief definition or description
- Henry B. Steagall : Add brief definition or description
- Glass-Steagall Act of 1932 : U.S. banking legislation that changed lending laws and released U.S. reserves of gold. Intended to be an inflationary reaction to the worsening Great Depression but was not successful.
- Banking Act of 1933 : Major U.S. banking legislation passed during Great Depression (portions of which are also known as the Glass-Steagall Act). Created the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Federal Open Market Committee. Separated commercial banking from investment banking and increased the powers of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors over monetary policy.