From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Science : The organized body of knowledge based on non–trivial refutable concepts that can be verified or rejected on the base of observation and experimentation
- Earth science : The study of the components and processes of the planet Earth.
- Earth : The third planet from the Sun in our solar system; the only place in the universe known by humanity to harbor life.
Fields of study
- Petrology : Add brief definition or description
- Mineralogy : Add brief definition or description
- Plate tectonics : Theory that explains geological phenomena such as seismicity, volcanism, continental drift, and mountain building in terms of the formation, destruction, movement, and interaction of the earth's lithospheric plates.
- Volcanology : Add brief definition or description
- Paleontology : The study of extinct life forms, particularly fossils.
- Nicolaus Steno : Add brief definition or description
- James Hutton : (1726–1797) Scottish farmer and naturalist, who is known as the founder of modern geology.
- Charles Lyell III : Add brief definition or description
- William Smith IV : Add brief definition or description
- Louis Agassiz : Add brief definition or description
- Charles Darwin : (1809 – 1882) English natural scientist, most famous for proposing the theory of natural selection.
- Alfred Wegener : (1880–1930) German geologist, meteorologist and polar explorer who developed the theory of continental drift.