The Generalgouvernement was the area of central Poland under occupation and German control after the German invasion of Poland, established by a decree of Adolf Hitler on 12 October 1939. The Ukrainian area of Galicia was added to it after the Germans invaded the Soviet Union.
Western Poland was treated as part of Germany and designated the Warthegau, and those who were not ethnic Germans deported into the Generalgouvernement. Eastern Poland, under the secret protocol of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, was under Soviet control.
The districts were:
As typical for the Third Reich, however, there were independent and overlapping lines of command, as with the SS and the military government reporting to OKH. Friedrich Krueger, then Wilhelm Koppe were the region's Higher SS and Police Leaders (HSSPF). All of the extermination camps were in this area.
Johannes Blaskowitz was the first military governor.