From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Dunbar, Willis Frederick, and George S. May. Michigan: A History of the Wolverine State. 3rd revised edition. Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1995.
- Eccles, W. J. "The Fur Trade and Eighteenth-Century Imperialism." The William and Mary Quarterly Third Series 40, No. 3 (July 1983): 341-362.
- Fowler, Loretta. Indians of the Midwest. Chicago: Newberry Library, 2011. http://publications.newberry.org/IndiansoftheMidwest.
- Gilman, Carolyn. Where Two Worlds Meet: The Great Lakes Fur Trade. St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society, 1982.
- Johnson, Ida Amanda. The Michigan Fur Trade. Lansing: Michigan Historical Commission, 1919.
- Johnson, Donald S. La Salle: A Perilous Odyssey from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. New York: Cooper Square Press, 2002.
- McKnight, David, et al. "History—Beaver and Other Pelts." In Pursuit of Adventure: The Fur Trade in Canada and the North West Company. Montreal, Quebec: McGill University, 2001. http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/nwc/
- Morantz, Toby. "Old Texts, Old Questions: Another Look at the Issue of Continuity and the Early Fur-Trade Period." Canadian Historical Review 73, no. 2 (June 1992): 166-193.
- Phillips, Paul Chrisler. The Fur Trade. 2 vols. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1961.
- Podruchny, Carolyn. Making the Voyageur World: Travelers and Traders in the North American Fur Trade. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006.
- Rosentreter, Roger, L. Michigan: A History of Explorers, Entrepreneurs, and Everyday People. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 2014.
- White, Richard. The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Barr, Daniel P. Unconquered: The Iroquois League at War in Colonial America. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2006.
- Millward, Robert. "How Could a Beaver Start a War?" The History Teacher 43, no. 2 (2010): 275-82.
- Tanner, Helen Hornbeck, and Miklos Pinther. Atlas of Great Lakes Indian History. Norman: Published for the Newberry Library by the University of Oklahoma, 1987.
- Thwaites, Reuben Gold, ed. Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents, Volumes 22, 24, 26, 40, 45, 48. Cleveland OH: The Burrows Brothers, 1898.
- Royot, Daniel. Divided Loyalties in a Doomed Empire: The French in the West from New France to the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Newark: University of Delaware Press. 2007.