Foreign Service Officer/Catalogs
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Foreign Service Officers
- Adrian Basora : Senior Fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute and Director of the Project on Democratic Transitions, an in-depth assessment of the political, economic and social transitions of postcommunist Europe/Eurasia twenty years after the fall of the Berlin Wall; Career Foreign Service Officer who was former U.S. Ambassador in Prague, National Security Council Director for European Affairs 1989 to 1991, Deputy Chief of Mission and then Chargé d’Affaires in Madrid, Political Counselor in Paris; member, Council on Foreign Relations, a trustee of the International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX)
- L. Paul Bremer : Retired American Foreign Service Officer and counterterrorism specialist who was Presidential Envoy to Iraq in 2003-2004, running the Coalition Provisional Authority
- M. Terry Cooke : Senior Fellow in the Foreign Policy Research Institute Asia Program and the principal director of GC3 Strategy, Inc., an international consultancy specializing in sustainability-related technologies and capital linkages between Asia and the U.S; was Director of Asian Partnership Development for the Geneva-based World Economic Forum. Prior Foreign Service Officer
- Ryan Crocker : U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, 2007-2009, and a Foreign Service Officer with the highest rank of Career Ambassador
- Elbridge Durbrow : (1904-1997) United States Ambassador to the Republic of Vietnam (1957 - 1961), career diplomat and Foreign Service Officer.
- Frederick Nolting Jr. : U.S. ambassador and head of the United States Mission to the Republic of Vietnam, from May 10 to August 15, 1963. A career Foreign Service Officer, he was preceded by Elbridge Durbrow, and succeeded by Henry Cabot Lodge Jr.. A supporter of Ngo Dinh Diem, he did not agree with the policy of U.S. support for a coup against Diem.
- Charles Hill : Career minister in the U.S. Foreign Service; research fellow at the Hoover Institution; diplomat-in-residence and lecturer in International Studies at Yale University; Executive aide to former U.S. Secretary of State George Shultz (1985–89); served as special consultant on policy to the Secretary-General of the United Nations from 1992 to 1996; wrote biography of Boutros Boutros-Ghali
- Christopher Hill (U.S. diplomat) : U.S. Ambassador to Iraq as of April 2009, following service as Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs; he was chief US negotiator at the Six-Party Talks over North Korean nuclear weapons
- Richard Holbrooke : United States diplomat, currently the U.S. special envoy to South Asia, including Afghanistan; director, National Endowment for Democracy; Director, Atlantic Council
- George Kennan : United States diplomat, authority on Soviet thinking, and head of the Policy Planning Staff of the United States Department of State.
- John Negroponte : A career U.S. diplomat now on the faculty of Yale University, whose tenure included Ambassadorships to Iraq, the United Nations, Honduras, and Mexico and serving as Director of National Intelligence
- David Pearce : US Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Ambassador to Algeria (2008-present); a senior advisor to U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker, and a planner of the "Surge"