Many thanks September donors. October donations open to all users. - Donate here
Dwight D. Eisenhower/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Ambrose, Stephen E. vol 1: Eisenhower: Soldier, General of the Army, President-Elect; vol 2: Eisenhower: The President; one volume edition is Eisenhower: Soldier and President (2003), standard scholarly biography excerpt and text search
- Ambrose, Stephen E. The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower (1999), standard scholarly biography excerpt and text search
- Bischof, Gunter, and Stephen E. Ambrose, eds. Eisenhower: A Centenary Assessment (1995), 281pp, most papers focus on presidency
- Boyle, Peter G. Eisenhower. (2005). 200 pp. on presidency; excerpt and text search
- D’Este, Carlo. Eisenhower, A Soldier’s Life (2002), 848 pages; a major military biography; excerpt and text search
- Eisenhower, David. Eisenhower At War 1943/45 (1986), 825pp; solid biography by his grandson
- Korda, Michael. Ike: An American Hero (2007) popular military biography; excerpt and text search
- Lasby, Clarence G. Eisenhower's Heart Attack: How Ike Beat Heart Disease and Held on to the Presidency. (1997) 384 pp. unusually brilliant medical history coreing his entire life
- Perret, Geoffrey. Eisenhower (2000), popular military biography; excerpt and text search
- Picket, William B. Dwight David Eisenhower and American Power (1995) 231pp, short overview by scholar
- Sixsmith, E. K.G. Eisenhower, His Life and Campaigns (1973) online edition
- Wicker, Tom. Dwight D. Eisenhower (2002), short political biography by journalist excerpt and text search
- Wukovits, John. Eisenhower: A Biography. (Great Generals Series.) (2006). 204 pp. excerpt and text search
- Bielakowski, Alexander M. "Eisenhower: the First Nato SACEUR' War & Society (2004) 22(2): 95-108. Issn: 0729-2473
- Chernus, Ira. "Eisenhower's Ideology in World War II," Armed Forces & Society 1997 23(4): 595-613. Issn: 0095-327x Fulltext: Ebsco
- Chernus, Ira. General Eisenhower: Ideology and Discourse. (2002). 366 pp.
- Gelb, Norman. Ike and Monty: Generals at War. (1994). 480 pp.
- Holland, Matthew F. Eisenhower between the Wars: The Making of a General and a Statesman. (2001). 248 pp. excerpt and text search
- Murray, G. E. Patrick. Eisenhower versus Montgomery: The Continuing Debate (1996), historiography online edition
- Pickett, William B. Eisenhower Decides to Run: Presidential Politics and Cold War Strategy. (2000). 215 pp.
- Pogue; Forrest C. The Supreme Command (1996) online edition
- Rostow, W. W. Pre-Invasion Bombing Strategy: General Eisenhower's Decision of March 25, 1944. (1981). 166 pp.
- Stoler, Mark A. "Dwight D. Eisenhower: Architect of Victory" in Theodore A. Wilson, ed. D-Day 1944 (1994), pp 298-317
- Weigley, Russell F. Eisenhower's Lieutenants: The Campaign of France and Germany 1944-1945 2 vol (1981), comprehensive history of Ike's campaigns
General and domestic policy
- Albertson, Dean. Eisenhower as President (1963) online edition
- Alexander, Charles C. Holding the Line: The Eisenhower Era, 1952-1961 (1975) online edition
- Allen, Craig. Eisenhower and the Mass Media: Peace, Prosperity and Prime-Time TV. (1993). 259 pp.
- Damms, Richard V. The Eisenhower Presidency, 1953-1961 (2002) 161 pp. short survey by Britissh scholar
- Greenstein, Fred I. The Hidden-Hand Presidency: Eisenhower as Leader (1991), highly influential study by political scientist
- Greenstein, Fred I. "Ronald Reagan. Another Hidden-Hand Ike?" PS: Political Science and Politics, Vol. 23, No. 1. (Mar., 1990), pp. 7-13. in JSTOR
- Griffith, Robert. "Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Corporate Commonwealth" The American Historical Review, Vol. 87, No. 1 (Feb., 1982), pp. 87-122 in JSTOR
- Harris, Douglas B. "Dwight Eisenhower and the New Deal: The Politics of Preemption" Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 27, 1997 online edition
- Harris, Seymour E. The Economics of the Political Parties, with Special Attention to Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy (1962) online edition
- Krieg, Joann P., ed. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Soldier, President, Statesman (1987), 24 essays by scholars; presidential years online edition
- Lee, R. Alton. Eisenhower and Landrum-Griffin: A Study in Labor-Management Politics (1990).
- Lewis, Tom. Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life (1999) excerpt and text search
- May, Ann Mari. "President Eisenhower, Economic Policy, and the 1960 Presidential Election." Journal of Economic History (1990) 50(2): 417-427. Issn: 0022-0507 Fulltext: in Jstor]
- Olson, James S. Historical Dictionary of the 1950s (2000) online edition
- Pach, Chester J. and Elmo Richardson. Presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1991), standard historical survey
- Parmet, Herbert S. Eisenhower and the American Crusades (1972) online edition, scholarly biography
- Reichard, Gary W. The Reaffirmation of Republicanism: Eisenhower and the Eighty-Third Congress (1975) 303 pages
- Reichard, Gary W. Politics As Usual: The Age of Truman and Eisenhower (2nd ed. 2004), 213pp; short survey
- Reinhard, David W. The Republican Right since 1945 (1983) online edition
- Rose, Mark H. Interstate: Express Highway Politics 1941-1956 (1979), 169 pp.
- Saulnier, Raymond J. Constructive Years: The U.S. Economy Under Eisenhower (1991).
- Stein, Herbert. Presidential Economics, The Making of Economic Policy From Roosevelt to Clinton (3rd ed. 1994) excerpt and text search
- Wagner, Steven. Eisenhower Republicanism: Pursuing the Middle Way. (2006). 179 pp. isbn 978-0-87580-362-3.)
- Warshaw, Shirley Anne, ed. Reexamining the Eisenhower Presidency. (1993). 234 pp.
Foreign and military polices
- Barrett, Roby C. The Greater Middle East and the Cold War: US Foreign Policy Under Eisenhower and Kennedy (2007) excerpt and text search
- Beschloss, Michael R. Mayday: Eisenhower, Khrushchev, and the U-2 Affair (1987)
- Borhi, Laszlo. "Rollback, Liberation, Containment, or Inaction?: U.S. Policy and Eastern Europe in the 1950s"
Journal of Cold War Studies 1#3 (1999), pp. 67-110 in Project Muse
- Bose, Meena. Shaping and Signaling Presidential Policy: The National Security Decision Making of Eisenhower and Kennedy. (1998). 197 pp. excerpt and text search
- Bowie, Robert R. and Immerman, Richard H. Waging Peace: How Eisenhower Shaped an Enduring Cold War Strategy (1998) online edition
- Brands, H. W. "The Age of Vulnerability: Eisenhower and the National Insecurity State." American Historical Review 1989 94(4): 963-989. Issn: 0002-8762 Fulltext: in Jstor]
- Carter, Donald Alan, "Eisenhower Versus the Generals," The Journal of Military History 71 #4 (October 2007) pp 1169-1200.
- Chernus, Ira. Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace (2002). 162 pp
- Clarfield, Gerard. Security with Solvency: Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Shaping of the American Military Establishment (1999) online edition
- Coleman, David G. "Eisenhower and the Berlin Problem, 1953-1954," Journal of Cold War Studies 2#1 (2000), pp. 3-34 in Project Muse
- Divine, Robert A. Eisenhower and the Cold War (1981) online edition; excerpt and text search
- Divine, Robert A. The Sputnik Challenge: Eisenhower's Response to the Soviet Satellite (1993).
- Dockrill, Saki. Eisenhower's New-Look National Security Policy, 1953-61. (1996). 400 pp. excerpt and text search
- Geelhoed, E. Bruce and Edmonds, Anthony O. Eisenhower, Macmillan, and Allied Unity, 1957-1961. (2003). 196 pp.
- Hewlett, Richard B. Atoms for Peace and War, 1953-1961: Eisenhower and the Atomic Energy Commission (1989).
- Jackson, Michael Gordon. "Beyond Brinkmanship: Eisenhower, Nuclear War Fighting, and Korea, 1953-1968," Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 35, 2005 online edition
- Kengor, Paul. "Comparing Presidents Reagan and Eisenhower" Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 28, 1998 online edition
- Kingseed, Cole C. Eisenhower and the Suez Crisis of 1956. (1995). 166 pp.
- Marsh, Steve. "Continuity and Change: Reinterpreting the Policies of the Truman and Eisenhower Administrations toward Iran, 1950-1954," Journal of Cold War Studies 7#3 (2005), pp. 79-123 in Project Muse
- Medhurst, Martin J. "Text and Context in the 1952 Presidential Campaign: Eisenhower's 'I Shall Go to Korea' Speech," Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 30, 2000 online edition
- Melanson, Richard A., and David Mayers, eds. Reevaluating Eisenhower: American Foreign Policy in the 1950s (1987)
- Osgood, Kenneth. Total Cold War: Eisenhower's Secret Propaganda Battle at Home and Abroad (2006) excerpt and text search
- Rabe, Stephen G. Eisenhower and Latin America: The Foreign Policy of Anti-Communism (1988).
- Rosenberg, Victor. Soviet-American Relations, 1953-1960: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange during the Eisenhower Presidency. (2005). 324 pp.
- Roman, Peter J. Eisenhower and the Missile Gap. (1995). 264 pp.
- Showalter, Dennis E., ed. Forging the Shield: Eisenhower and National Security for the 21st Century. (2005). 235 pp. essays by scholars
- Tananbaum, Duane. The Bricker Amendment Controversy: A Test of Eisenhower's Political Leadership (1988);
- Tudda, Chris. The Truth Is Our Weapon: The Rhetorical Diplomacy of Dwight D. Eisenhower and John Foster Dulles. (2006). 224 pp. excerpt and text search
- Johns, Andrew L. "Fighting Words," Reviews in American History 35#2 (2007) pp. 273-283 review of Tuda
- Council of Economic Advisors, Economic Report of the President (annual 1947- ), complete series online; important analysis of current trends and policies, plus statistcial tables
- Gallup, George Horace, ed. The Gallup Poll: Public Opinion, 1935-1971 3 vol (1972) summarizes results of each poll as reported to newspapers.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. Crusade In Europe (1948), war memoir excerpt and text search
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. White House Years- Mandate for Change, 1953-1956 (1963) online edition
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. White House Years- Waging Peace, 1956-1961
- Eisenhower Papers 21 volume scholarly edition; complete for 1940-61; volumes XIV-XXI covering 1953-61 are online.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. Eisenhower: The Prewar Diaries and Selected Papers, 1905-1941. ed. by Daniel D. Holt and James W. Leyerzapf, (1998). 576 pp.
- selected speeches, full text
- Farewell speech, 1960
- The Churchill-Eisenhower Correspondence, 1953-1955 edited by Peter G. Boyle, (1990) online edition
- The Public Papers of the Presidents contain most of Eisenhower's public messages, statements, speeches, and news conference remarks. Documents such as Proclamations, and Executive Orders
- Eisenhower, John S.D. Strictly Personal. New York: Doubleday, 1974.
- Eisenhower, John S.D. General Ike: A Personal Reminiscence. New York: Free Press, 2003.
- Eisenhower, Milton S. The Wine Is Bitter (1963)
- Eisenhower, Milton S. The President Is Calling (1974)
World War II aides
- Bradley, Omar N. A Soldier's Story (1951) and A General's Life: An Autobiography (1983)
- Butcher, Harry C. My Three Years With Eisenhower (1946) by wartime aide
- Collins, J. Lawton Lightning Joe: An Autobiography (1979)
- Smith, Walter Bedell. Eisenhower's Six Great Decisions (1956), by wartime chief of staff
White House aides
- Adams, Sherman. Firsthand Report (1961), by White House chief of staff
- Benson, Ezra Taft. Cross Fire: The Eight Years With Eisenhower (1962) by the Secretary of Agriculture online edition
- Hughes, Emmet John. The Ordeal of Power (196)3, by the White House staff liberal
- Kistiakowsky, George B. A Scientist at the White House (1976)
- Larson, Arthur. The President Nobody Knew (1968)
- Nixon, Richard M. Six Crises (1962); RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon (1978), excerpt and text search
- Strauss, Lewis L. Men and Decisions (1962)