This recipe makes 8-10 servings of vegetarian chili-mac and can be made in 30 minutes or so if the chili seasoning mix is premade. The chili-mac can be split into individual serving frozen.
- 1 pound large macaroni noodles
- 1 12 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 small can RoTel tomatoes with green chilis (8-10 ounces?)
- 4-6 tablespoons of chili seasoning mix
- 1 bag of vegetarian beef crumbles, or TVP, (equivalent to 1 pound of beef).
- 1 cup of water (for sauce)
- 8 cups of water (to boil macaroni)
- Combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, veggie beef crumbles (or TVP) and chili seasoning mix in a 2 quart saucepan
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or more, covered, stirring occasionally
- Bring water to boil in a large soup pot
- Add large macaroni and cook according to directions (7-10 minutes, typically)
- drain macaroni in a collander
- Combine drained macaroni and chili mac sauce in the large soup pot and stir well.
Alternate casserol form
The above final combination can be layered with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in a casserol dish, starting with the chili mac, then cheese, then chili mac, and a final layer of cheese and baked in an oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is melted. When used this way, a can of corn can be added as well.