- The content on this page originated on Wikipedia and is yet to be significantly improved. Contributors are invited to replace and add material to make this an original article.
| Atheris nitschei|
Common names: Great Lakes bush viper, Nitsche's bush viper, sedge viper, more.
Atheris nitschei is a venomous viper species found in Africa from Uganda and adjacent DR Congo in the north to northern Malawi in the south. Two subspecies is currently recognized, with the typical form described here.
A relatively large and stout bush viper, growing to an average length of 63 cm and a maximum of at least 73 cm. The males are smaller than the females.
Found in Central Africa from east DR Congo, Uganda and west Tanzania, southward to north Malawi and north Zambia. The type locality is listed as "Mpororosumpf, Deutsch-Ost-Afrika" [Mpororo swamp, Tanzania-Rwanda border].
Found in wetland and meadow areas, and elephant grass marshes, along small streams, sometimes in scrub and bush in valleys at higher elevations, and in mountain forests up to the bamboo zone at 1600-2800 m altitude. Common in papyrus reed around small lakes.
|Subspecies||Authority||Common name||Geographic range|
|A. n. nitsche||Tornier, 1902||Great Lakes bush viper||Uganda, north-west Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, DR Congo (Kivo and Shaba Provinces).|
|A. n. rungweensis||Bogert, 1940||Rungwe tree viper||Scattered locations from south-west Tanzania to north-east Zambia and south to the Nyika Plateau in north Malawi.|
- List of viperine species and subspecies.
- True vipers - Common names.
- True vipers - Synonymy.
- McDiarmid RW, Campbell JA, Touré T. 1999. Snake Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, vol. 1. Herpetologists' League. 511 pp. ISBN 1-893777-00-6 (series). ISBN 1-893777-01-4 (volume).
- Spawls S, Branch B. 1995. The Dangerous Snakes of Africa. Ralph Curtis Books. Dubai: Oriental Press. 192 pp. ISBN 0-88359-029-8.
- Mallow D, Ludwig D, Nilson G. 2003. True Vipers: Natural History and Toxinology of Old World Vipers. Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, Florida. 359 pp. ISBN 0-89464-877-2.
- Atheris nitschei at World of Atheris. Accessed 26 March 2007.
- Atheris nitschei (TSN 634947) at Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Accessed 26 March 2007.
- Mehrtens JM. 1987. Living Snakes of the World in Color. New York: Sterling Publishers. 480 pp. ISBN 0-8069-6460-X.