Hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors (Statins)
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) estimated that after 5 to 7 years of treatment with statins, the relative risk reduction of coronary heart disease events is decreased by approximately 30%. More recently, a meta-analysis reported an almost identical relative risk reduction of 29.2% in low risk patients treated for 4.3 years . A relative risk reduction of 19% in coronary mortality was found in a meta-analysis of patients at all levels of risk.
Fibrates (fibric acid derivatives)
Bile acid sequestrants
- Pignone MP, Phillips CJ, Atkins D, Teutsch SM, Mulrow CD, Lohr KN (2001). "Screening and treating adults for lipid disorders". American Journal of Preventive Medicine 20: 77–89. PMID 11306236.
- Screening for Lipid Disorders: Recommendations and Rationale. Retrieved on 2007-10-17.
- Thavendiranathan P, Bagai A, Brookhart M, Choudhry N (2006). "Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases with statin therapy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials". Arch Intern Med 166: 2307-13. DOI:10.1001/archinte.166.21.2307. PMID 17130382. Research Blogging.
- Baigent C, Keech A, Kearney PM, et al (2005). "Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins". Lancet 366 (9493): 1267-78. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67394-1. PMID 16214597. Research Blogging.
- Nakamura H, Arakawa K, Itakura H, et al (September 2006). "Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with pravastatin in Japan (MEGA Study): a prospective randomised controlled trial". Lancet 368 (9542): 1155–63. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69472-5. PMID 17011942. Research Blogging.