In medicine and rheumatology, ankylosing spondylitis is an "inflammatory joint disease affecting the spine. It occurs predominantly in young males and produces pain and stiffness as a result of inflammation of the sacroiliac, intervertebral, and costovertebral joints. Etiology is unknown."
Inhibitors of tumor necrosis factor-alpha can benefit according to a meta-analysis. For example, TNFR-Fc fusion protein (etanercept - pronounced et a ner' set) blocks the activity of tumor necrosis factor-alpha. and may help patients with ankylosing spondylitis.
- Anonymous (2015), Ankylosing spondylitis (English). Medical Subject Headings. U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Braun J, Sieper J (April 2007). "Ankylosing spondylitis". Lancet 369 (9570): 1379–90. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60635-7. PMID 17448825. Research Blogging.
- McLeod C, Bagust A, Boland A, et al (August 2007). "Adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis: a systematic review and economic evaluation". Health Technol Assess 11 (28): 1–158, iii–iv. PMID 17651658.
- The most up-to-date information about Etanercept and other drugs can be found at the following sites.
- Gorman JD, Sack KE, Davis JC (May 2002). "Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis by inhibition of tumor necrosis factor alpha". N. Engl. J. Med. 346 (18): 1349–56. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa012664. PMID 11986408. Research Blogging.
- Furst DE, Breedveld FC, Kalden JR, et al (November 2007). "Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, 2007". Ann. Rheum. Dis. 66 Suppl 3: iii2–22. DOI:10.1136/ard.2007.081430. PMID 17934088. Research Blogging.