From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
This page contains an alphabetical list of: well-known dishes in American (United States) cuisine; American regional cuisines; and American chefs, gourmets and food critics.
- Apple pie
- Clam chowder
- Hashbrowns—Shredded potato, seasoned, formed into a round patty, and fried.
- Hot dog—a sausage in a long, soft bun; what would a ballgame be without this iconic American creation?
- Macaroni and cheese; also Baked macaroni and cheese
- Peanut butter
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich—also: peanut butter and jam sandwich
- Philly cheesesteak
- Rhubarb pie
- Sandwiches—Americans consume 45 billion of them every year. Chicago is known for its Italian beef sandwiches, Milwaukee for bratwurst, Philadelphia for its cheesesteak, and Los Angeles for the French dip, which, according to legend, was created by accident.
Regional American cuisine
American chefs, cooks, gourmets and food critics
- James Beard
- Tom Carvel
- Julia Child
- Fannie Farmer
- Dick and Mac McDonald
- Paul Prudhomme
- Colonel Sanders
- Dave Thomas
- Mercuri, Becky (2004). American Sandwich: Great Eats from All 50 States. Gibbs Smith, 141 pages. ISBN ISBN 1586854704.