Many thanks September donors. October donations open to all users. - Donate here
Alfred Russel Wallace/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
Books about Alfred Russel Wallace
- Smith CH, Beccaloni G. (editors) (2008) Natural Selection and Beyond: The Intellectual Legacy of Alfred Russel Wallace. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199239160. | Google Books preview | Publisher's Description.
- Twenty-four contributors provide a "sympathetic but sophisticated" reassessment of Alfred Russel Wallace's life, work, and views.
- Slotten RA. (2004) The 'Heretic in Darwin's Court: The Life of Alfred Russel Wallace. Columbia University Press. ISBN 0231130104. Numerous excerpts here.
- Ross A. Slotten, M.D., is a family practitioner in private practice in Chicago. He is a Wallace enthusiast and has retraced a number of Wallace's travels in Indonesia.
- From the publisher: "After examining his early years, the biography turns to Wallace’s twelve years of often harrowing travels in the western and eastern tropics, which place him in the pantheon of the greatest explorer-naturalists of the nineteenth century. Tracing step-by-step his discovery of natural selection—a piece of scientific detective work as revolutionary in its implications as the discovery of the structure of DNA—the book then follows the remaining fifty years of Wallace’s eccentric and entertaining life. In addition to his divergence from Darwin on two fundamental issues—sexual selection and the origin of the human mind—he pursued topics that most scientific figures of his day conspicuously avoided, including spiritualism, phrenology, mesmerism, environmentalism, and life on Mars."
Book chapters about Alfred Russel Wallace
- Bowler P. (2008) Forward. In: Smith CH, Beccaloni G. (editors) (2008) Natural Selection and Beyond: The Intellectual Legacy of Alfred Russel Wallace. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199239160. | Google Books preview.
Articles about Alfred Russel Wallace
- Kutschera U. (2003) A Comparative Analysis of the Darwin-Wallace Papers and the Development of the Concept of Natural Selection. Theory Biosci. 22: 343-359.
- The author compares the papers of Darwin and Wallace read before the Linnaean Society in London in 1858.
- "It is shown that the contributions of A.R. Wallace, who died 90 years ago, are more significant than usually acknowledged. I conclude that natural selection's lesser known co-discoverer should be regarded as one of the most important pioneers of evolutionary biology, whose original contributions are underestimate by most contemporary scientists."
- Dawkins R. (2001) The Reading of the Darwin-Wallace papers commemorated – in the Royal Academy of Arts. A speech given by Richard Dawkins FRS on 26th November 2001, unveiling the plaque in the Royal Academy commemorating the reading of the Darwin-Wallace papers at the Linnean Society on July 1st 1858 (see The Linnean 17(4) October 2001). THE LINNEAN: Newsletter and Proceedings of THE LINNEAN SOCIETY OF LONDON, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BF, VOLUME 18 • NUMBER 4 • OCTOBER 2002.
Partial list of books by Alfred Russel Wallace
- Wallace AR. 1853. A narrative of travels on the Amazon and Rio Negro, Lond.
- Wallace AR. 1856. Notes of a journey up the Sadong river, in north-west Borneo, n.pl.
- Wallace AR. 1866. The scientific aspect of the supernatural indicating the desirableness of an experimental enquiry by men of science into the alleged powers of clairvoyants and mediums, London: F. Farrah.
- Wallace AR. 1866. Notes on the genus Iphias: with descriptions of two new species from the Moluccas, London: Taylor and Francis.
- Wallace AR. 1866. On the phenomena of variation and geographical distribution as illustrated by the Paplionidæ of the Malayan region, London: R. Taylor.
- Wallace AR. 1868. A catalogue of the Cetoniidae of the Malayan Archipelago, with descriptions of the new species, London: Entomological Society.
- Wallace AR. (1869) The Malay Archipelago: The Land of the Orang-utan, and the Bird of Paradise. A Narrative of Travel, with Studies of Man and Nature. New York: Harper & Brothers. | Google Free eBook.
- Dedication: "To Charles Darwin, Author of "The Origin Of Species," I Dedicate this Book, Not Only as a Token of Personal Esteem and Friendship, But Also to Express My Deep Admiration for His Genius and His Works."
- Wallace AR. 1870. Contributions to the theory of natural selection: a series of essays, London: Macmillan & co.
- Wallace AR. 1871. The action of natural selection on man, New Haven, Conn: C.C. Chatfield & co.
- Wallace AR. 1871. An answer to the arguments of Hume, Lecky and others, against miracles, (Lond.).
- Wallace AR, YA Pamphlet Collection (Library of Congress). 1874. A defence of modern spiritualism, Boston: Colby and Rich.
- Wallace AR. 1875. On miracles and modern spiritualism, 3 essays, Lond.
- Wallace AR. 1876. The geographical distribution of animals: With a study of the relations of living and extinct faunas as elucidating the past changes of the earth's surface. e
- Wallace AR, Buchanan JR, Lyman D, Sargent E, Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress). 1878. The psycho-physiological sciences, and their assailants: being a response by Alfred R. Wallace, of England, Professor J.R. Buchanan, of New York, Darius Lyman, of Washington, Epes Sargent, of Boston, to the attacks of Prof. W.B. Carpenter, of England, and others, Boston: Colly & Rich.
- Wallace AR. 1878. Tropical nature, and other essays, London: Macmillan.
- Wallace AR, Keane AH. 1879. Australasia, London: E. Stanford.
- Wallace AR, Wallace AR. 1880. Island life, or, The phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates, London: Macmillan.
- Wallace AR. 1881. On miracles and modern spiritualism: Three essays, London: Trubner & co.
- Wallace AR. 1882. Land nationalisation its necessity and its aims, London: Trèubner & co.
- Wallace AR. 1883. The "why" and the "how" of land nationalisation, London: Macmillan and Co.
- Wallace AR. 1883. The Malay archipelago, a narrative of travel, with studies of man and nature, Lond.
- Wallace AR. 1885. Forty-five years of registration statistics, proving vaccination to be both useless and dangerous, Lond.
- Wallace AR. 1885. Bad times: an essay on the present depression of trade, Lond.
- Wallace AR, Thiselton-Dyer WT. 1885. The distribution of life, animal and vegetable, in space and time, New York: Humbolt.
- Wallace AR. 1886. The depression of trade, its causes and its remedies, Edinburgh: Co-operative priting company, limited.
- Wallace AR, Hawes GH, Metropolitan Temple (San Francisco C. 1887. "If a man die, shall he live again?" a lecture, Boston, Mass: Published by Colby & Rich.
- Wallace AR. (1889) Darwinism: An Exposition of the theory of Natural Selection, with Some of Its Applications. London: MacMillan. 494 p. | Google Book full-view & downloadable as PDF or EPUB.
- Wallace AR. 1892. Spiritualism, Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott company.
- Wallace AR. 1893. Australia and New Zealand, London: E. Stanford.
- Wallace AR. 1893. The conditions essential to the success of small holdings, Derby: James harwood.
- Wallace AR. 1898. Vaccination a delusion: its penal enforcement a crime: proved by the official evidence in the reports of the Royal Commission, London: Swan Sonnenschein.
- Wallace AR. 1898. The wonderful century [the 19th century], its successes and its failures, Lond. &c.
- Wallace AR. 1900. Studies scientific & social, London: Macmillan and co., limited.
- Wallace AR. 1901. The progress of the century, New York and London: Harper & brothers.
- Wallace AR. 1903. Man's place in the universe: a study of the results of scientific research in relation to the unity or plurality of worlds, London: Chapman and Hall.
- Wallace AR. 1904. A summary of the proofs that vaccination does not prevent small-pox but really increases it, London: The National anti-vaccination league.
- Wallace AR, Lowell P. 1907. Is Mars habitable? A critical examination of P. Lowell's book 'Mars and its canals', Lond.
- Wallace AR. (1905) My life: A record of events and opinions. London: Chapman and Hall. Volume 1. Full-Text in Image Format, from: The Complete Works of Charles Darwin Online, The Freeman Bibliographical Database
- Wallace AR. 1908. My life: a record of events and opinions, London: Chapman & Hall, ltd.
- Wallace AR. 1909. The remedy for unemployment, London: The Clarion Press.
- Wallace AR, Wallace AR, Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress). 1911. Spiritualistic experiences, Halifax England: Published by the Spiritualists' National Union, Ltd.
- Wallace AR. 1911. The world of life, a manifestation of creative power, directive mind and ultimate purpose, New York: Moffat, Yard & company.
- Wallace AR, Marchant J. 1913. The revolt of democracy. With the life story of the author, by J. Marchant, Lond. &c.
- Wallace AR. 1913. Social environment and moral progress, New York: Cassell.
- Wallace AR, Marchant J. 1916. Alfred Russel Wallace: letters and reminiscences, London: Cassell.
- Wallace AR. 1918. Woman and natural selection, S.l: s.n.
Articles by Alfred Russel Wallace
- Wallace A. (1863) Varieties of Man in the Malay Archipelago. The Anthropological review, Volume 1, pp. 441.-444. | Google eBook Free.