From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
< Al Smith
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Andersen, Kristi. The Creation of a Democratic Majority: 1928-1936 (1979), statistical analysis of voting
- Bornet, Vaughn Davis; Labor Politics in a Democratic Republic: Moderation, Division, and Disruption in the Presidential Election of 1928 (1964) online edition
- Burner, David. The Politics of Provincialism: The Democratic Party in Transition, 1918--1932 (1968).
- Caro, Robert A. The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York (1975) excerpt and text search
- Craig, Douglas B. After Wilson: The Struggle for Control of the Democratic Party, 1920-1934 (1992) online edition see Chap. 6 "The Problem of Al Smith" and Chap. 8 "'Wall Street Likes Al Smith': The Election of 1928"
- Degler, Carl N. "American Political Parties and the Rise of the City: An Interpretation," Journal of American History, 1964 51:1 pp 41-59. in JSTOR
- Eldot, Paula. Governor Alfred E. Smith: The Politician as Reformer, (1983)
- Finan, Christopher M. Alfred E. Smith: The Happy Warrior. (2003) excerpt and text search
- Freidel, Frank. Franklin D. Roosevelt, vols. 2 amd 3 (1954-56);
- Hand, Samuel B. "Al Smith, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the New Deal," Historian, May 1965
- Hostetler, Michael J. "Gov. Al Smith Confronts the Catholic Question: The Rhetorical Legacy of the 1928 Campaign," Communication Quarterly 1998 vol 46
- Josephson, Matthew and Hannah Josephson. Al Smith: Hero of the Cities (1969), a solid biography but not as good as Slayton (2001)
- Lawrence, David G. The Collapse of the Democratic Presidential Majority: Realignment, Dealignment, and Electoral Change from Franklin Roosevelt to Bill Clinton, (1996)
- Lichtman, Allan J. Prejudice and the old politics: The Presidential election of 1928, (1979), statistical analysis of voting behavior
- Carter, Paul A. "Deja Vu; Or, Back to the Drawing Board with Alfred E. Smith," in Reviews in American History (1980) 8#2 pp 272-276, review of Lichtman
- Moore, Edmund A. A Catholic Runs for President: The Campaign of 1928 (1956) online edition
- Neal, Donn C. The World beyond the Hudson: Alfred E. Smith and National Politics, 1918-1928, (1983)
- Neal, Donn C. "What If Al Smith Had Been Elected?" Presidential Studies Quarterly (1984) 14#2 pp 242-248
- Perry, Elisabeth Israels. Belle Moskowitz: Feminine Politics and the Exercise of Power in the Age of Alfred E. Smith, (1987)
- Rulli, Daniel F. "Campaigning in 1928: Chickens in Pots and Cars in Backyards," Teaching History: A Journal of Methods, Vol. 31#1 pp 42+ (2006) online version with lesson plans for class
- Pringle, Henry F. Alfred E. Smith: A Critical Study (1927) online edition
- Schwarz, Jordan A. "Al Smith in the Thirties," New York History, Oct. 1964.
- Slayton, Robert A. Empire Statesman: The Rise and Redemption of Al Smith, (2001), 480pp, the standard scholarly biography; excerpt and text search
- Sweeney, James R. “Rum, Romanism, and Virginia Democrats: The Party Leaders and the Campaign of 1928.” Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 90 (October 1982): 403–31.
- Smith, Alfred E. Campaign addresses of Governor Alfred E. Smith, Democratic Candidate for President 1928 (1929)
- Smith, Alfred E. Progressive Democracy: Addresses & State Papers. (1928) online edition