1876th Communications Squadron
The 1876th Communications Squadron was a unit of the United States Air Force that performed communications functions in the Republic of Vietnam from 1965 to 1972 and then at the United States Air Force Academy from 1972 until 1 April 1991.
The squadron was first organized at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, on 1 November 1965, as a dependent squadron under the 1964th Communications Group (Air Force Communications Service). Its mission was to provide command and control communications for United States military personnel engaged in operations against Viet Cong and North Vietnamese enemy forces. While in Vietnam, the 1876th was presented seven Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards and earned six battle streamers. The 1876th was also awarded the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm.
On 1 April 1972, the 1959th Communications Squadron, stationed at the United States Air Force Academy, was inactivated. On the same day, the 1876 CS relocated without equipment or personnel to USAFA as part of the United States forces withdrawal from Southeast Asia. 1876 CS assumed the duties and responsibilities of 1959 CS. As a squadron belonging to Air Force Communications Service and later Air Force Communications Command (AFCC), the 1876th was a tenant unit at the USAF Academy.
On 1 July 1985, with the integration of the USAFA Computer Resources Organization, the squadron was redesignated as the 1876th Information Systems Support Group (ISSG) by Headquarters AFCC.
On 1 November 1986, the 1876th ISSG was redesignated as the 1876th Communications Group. 1876 CG provided communications, computer, and air traffic services support; developed and maintained software; and managed, operated, and maintained equipment and facilities to include telecommunications center, telephone switchboard, and educational television.
In 1991 Air Force Communications Command was losing it's long list of units it had gathered over the years, the units now reporting to the groups, wings, or major commands for which they worked. On 1 April 1991, the 1876th was inactivated and its duties assumed by the 7625th Communications Squadron, this new organization reporting instead to the USAF Academy organization which had created it. Three months later, the status of Air Force Communications Command changed from a major command to a field operating agency.
Awards and decorations
- seven Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards:
- six Vietnam War battle streamers
- Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, 1 April 1966 - 1 April 1972
Commanders with date assumed command
- Maj Code E. Bryan, 1 Nov 1965
- Lt Col Bernerd C. DeLosier, 22 Feb 1966
- Lt Col Richard H. Rauschkole, 20 Feb 1967
- Lt Col Robert W. Lally, 13 Nov 1967
- Lt Col John W. Carson, 4 Jul 1968
- Lt Col John T. Randerson, 14 Jun 1969
- Lt Col Charles E. Bayliss, 25 May 1970
- Lt Col Harold W. Rainey, 1 Apr 1971
1 April 1972, the unit moved to the USAF Academy without equipment or personnel.
- Maj Phillip J. Lubie, 1 Apr 1972
- Capt James H. Brown, 9 Jul 1973
- Maj Charles E. Pearsall, Jr., 22 Jun 1977
- Maj James M. Amodeo, 12 Jul 1978
- Maj Michael J. Varner, 26 Aug 1983
- Col Carroll A. Clabaugh, 1 Jul 1985
- Lt Col H. Wayne Wolfe, 29 May 1987
- Lt Col Eddie O. Huckins, 10 Jul 1989
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the USAF Academy.