United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit/Related Articles
- See also changes related to United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, or pages that link to United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit or to this page or whose text .
- U.S. judicial system : The system of United States legal courts, authorized as a separate and co-equal branch of government in Article III of the U.S. Constitution, and specialized first-level administrative law bodies in the Executive Branch
States in the circuit
- Delaware : A State of the Eastern USA.
- Maryland : A State on the Eastern coast of the USA.
- North Carolina : A state in the southeastern region of the United States
- South Carolina : A State in the South-eastern USA.
- Virginia : A state in the southeastern United States.
- West Virginia : 35th state of the USA
- Hamdi v. Rumsfeld : A 2004 opinion by the Supreme Court of the United States, which held that a U.S. citizen, captured in a combat zone and alleged to be bearing arms against the United States, still was entitled to a judicial hearing to determine if he was an enemy combatant subject to military, rather than civilian, law
- El-Masri v. Tenet : A case involving extrajudicial detention, in which the U.S. government stopped a lawsuit by a person captured due to an error in identification, by invoking the state secrets privilege; the dismissal was upheld by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and has been as a strong precedent for a wide interpretation of the privilege