- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Crawford, Robert (2009-01-25). The Bard: Robert Burns, A Biography. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691141711.
- Hogg, Patrick Scott. Robert Burns: The Patriot Bard. Mainstream Publishing Co (Edinburgh) Ltd. 2008
- Mackay, James a. (2008-10-30). Robert Burns Poet 1759 - 1796. Alloway Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0907526934.
- McIntyre, Ian (1995-10-19). Dirt & Deity: A Life of Robert Burns. HarperCollins Canada / Trade. ISBN 0002159643.
- Kinsley, J (ed). Poems and Songs of Robert Burns (with music). 3 vols. Oxford University Press. 1968
- Burns, Robert; Andrew O'Hagan (2009-01-06). A Night Out with Robert Burns: The Greatest Poems. Douglas Gibson Books. ISBN 0771017421.
- Life and Works of Robert Burns. (1800) J.C. Currie
(James Currie was once thought to have distorted the story of Burns's life, to use the poet as a 'Dreadful Warning' against the evils of drink. R.D.Thornton's James Currie: The Entire Stranger and Robert Burns (1963) argues that in his own youth, Currie was so intemperate that the respectability of his middle-age made it hard for him publicly to avoid condemning one whose sins were so like his own had been. See Database of the Correspondence of James Currie (1756-1805) University of Glasgow)