Radiofrequency MASINT/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Radiofrequency MASINT, or pages that link to Radiofrequency MASINT or to this page or whose text .
- Measurement and signature intelligence : A variety of intelligence gathering disciplines complementary to the technical "mainstream" of imagery intelligence and signals intelligence.
- Operation RAFTER : A measurement and signature intelligence (MASINT) technique that allowed a remote monitor to determine, passively, the frequency to which a radio receiver was tuned; revelation of the technique allowed it to be prevented
- Superheterodyne : A form of reception in which the frequency of an incoming signal is mixed with a locally generated signal and converted to an intermediate frequency in order to facilitate amplification and the rejection of unwanted signals.
- TEMPEST (code word) : Formally, the unclassified code word for means of protection against information disclosure by inadvertent leakage of radiated or conducted energy from electrical or acoustic devices; more broadly interpreted as passive means of intelligence collection of such leakage; generally a considered part of measurement and signature intelligence, primarily the radiofrequency MASINT subset thereof
- TEAPOT (code word) : Never officially confirmed, but believed to be the code word both for protective measures against, and intelligence collection using, energy actively directed against vibrating surfaces or resonant cavities, such as lasers against windowpanes vibrating with the acoustic energy of conversations in a room; usually part of radiofrequency MASINT
- HIJACK (code word) : An unconfirmed intelligence collection technique, mixing aspects of signals intelligence and radiofrequency MASINT, in which a sensitive information signal inadvertently modulates an analog signal in its immediate vicinity, and the signal is extracted from a radiated or conducted analog carrier signal
- NONSTOP (code word) : An unconfirmed intelligence collection technique, mixing aspects of signals intelligence and radiofrequency MASINT, in which a sensitive information signal inadvertently modulates a digital device in its immediate vicinity, and the signal is extracted from a radiated or conducted digital carrier signal
- Electromagnetic pulse MASINT : Intelligence derived technically from the characteristics of electromagnetic pulses generated by large explosions, usually nuclear; part of the discipline of measurement and signature intelligence (MASINT) and part of the national technical means of verification in arms control
- Signals intelligence : the practice of acquiring information through monitoring the electromagnetic signals deliberately trasmitted by an opponent, including communications (COMINT) and non-communications electronics such as radar (ELINT).
- Electronic intelligence : Collection and analysis of electronic signals not intended to be intelligible to humans, such as radar or navigational aids
- Communications intelligence : The subset of SIGINT concerned with signals intended to be intelligible to human beings, in the form of voice, messages, or images.
- National technical means of verification : Euphemism principally for imagery intelligence satellites and other means of strategic arms control verification, principally because the Soviet Union did not want its public to know that they could not prevent Western observation of the state
- Materials MASINT : A discipline involving the measurement of signatures from the collection, processing, and analysis of gas, liquid, or solid samples; it complements technical intelligence: a technical intelligence analyst would work with a captured example of the weapon, or at least pieces of it, to come to that understanding of the propellant, while an analyst of this technique would infer the propellant through analysis of the exhaust
- Modulation : The process of varying one waveform in relation to another waveform.
- Ho Chi Minh Trail : People's Army of Viet Nam logistics route into South Vietnam, operated by the 559th Transportation Group
- AC-130 : Heavily armed transport aircraft, based on the C-130 Hercules, used to provide air support to special operations forces.