Military code names and public opinion/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Military code names and public opinion, or pages that link to Military code names and public opinion or to this page or whose text .
- Classified information : Material collected or created by a government that is subject to limitations on its release to the general public and may have penalties for its unauthorized release.
- Compartmented control system : A set of controls, in addition to a regular national security classifications, that adds additional security restrictions to especially sensitive information
- Information operations : The integrated employment of the core capabilities of electronic warfare, computer network operations, psychological operations, military deception, and operations security.
- Propaganda : Information issued by governments, intended to influence a target audience; it may be acknowledged by its source, be of ambiguous source, or have a false source; the content may be true or false, independently of the truth of its ostensible origin
- Operations security : The set of doctrines, procedures, and actions that are intended to prevent an adversary from learning of the existence of planned operations, the conditions that will cause it to be initiated, the way it will be conducted, or how its plan changes during execution.
World War II
- Operation JUBILEE : Code name for the British and Canadian raid on the German-occupied port of Dieppe on 19 August 1942; heavy Allied casualties, but regarded as providing critical lessons learned that guided the tactics of the Battle of Normandy
- Operation OVERLORD : Allied code name for general operations in northern and western Europe in 1944; not restricted to the Normandy invasion proper, which was a subset codenamed Operation NEPTUNE
- Operation URGENT FURY : Add brief definition or description
- Operation JUST CAUSE : 1989 brief U.S. invasion of Panama to remove the government of Manuel Noriega; this is the public "code name" — the actual classified name for planning was BLUE SPOON
- Operation DESERT SHIELD : That part of the Gulf War following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, beginning with the acceptance of Coalition support by Saudi Arabia, and ending with the start of the air campaign, Operation DESERT STORM.
- Operation DESERT STORM : That part of the Gulf War, beginning with the first air strikes at 02:00 local time, 17 January 1991, until the main ground assault into Kuwait, Operation DESERT SABRE
- Operation DESERT SABRE : That part of the Gulf War that began when conventional units of the Coalition crossed the Kuwaiti or Iraqi border, and ended with the cease-fire.
- Operation DESERT FOX : A December 1998 U.S. and U.K. air campaign against Iraq, to punish Saddam Hussein for interferences with weapons of mass destruction searches by the United Nations UNSCOM inspectors
- Operation ALLIED FORCE : A 1999 NATO air campaign intended to force the Former Republic of Yugoslavia, under Slobodan Milosevic, to cease ethnic cleansing in Kosovo.
- Operation ENDURING FREEDOM : Overall U.S. designation for operations in the Afghanistan War (2001-)
- Operation IRAQI FREEDOM : Official U.S. code name for the 2003 invasion of Iraq and continuing operations in the Iraq War.
- Operation CAST LEAD : Add brief definition or description