- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Ester Boserup. Population and Technological Change: A Study of Long-Term Trends (1981) (1981),
- Ansley J. Coale and Susan C. Watkins, eds. The Decline of Fertility in Europe, (1986)
- Davis, Kingsley. "The World Demographic Transition." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1945237: 1-11. in JSTOR, classic article that introduced concept of transition
- Dolan, Brian, ed. Malthus, Medicine and Morality: "Malthusianism" after 1798. 2000. 232 pp.
- Gillis, John R.; Louise A. Tilly; and David Levine; eds. The European Experience of Declining Fertility, 1850-1970: The Quiet Revolution. 1992.
- Susan Greenhalgh. "The Social Construction of Population Science: An Intellectual, Institutional, and Political History of Twentieth-Century Demography," Comparative Studies in Society and History, Volume 38, Issue 1 (Jan., 1996), 26-66. in JSTOR
- Hauser, Philip M., and Otis Dudley Duncan, eds. The Study of Population: An Inventory and Appraisal. 1959. sumamry of field at mid-century
- Malthus, Thomas. An Essay on the Principle of Population (1st ed 1798) (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought) ed by Donald Winch 1992 ISBN 9780521429726
- Micklewright, F. H. A. "The Rise and Fall of English Neo-malthusianism." Population Studies 1961 15(1): 32-51.
- Reed, James. From Private Vice to Public Virtue: The Birth Control Movement and American Society Since 1830. 1978.
- Spengler, Joseph J. France Faces Depopulation (2nd ed 1979)
- John R. Weeks. Population: An Introduction to Concepts and Issues (10th ed. 2007)