Kandahar Province/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Kandahar Province, or pages that link to Kandahar Province or to this page or whose text .
- Provinces of Afghanistan : There are 34 Provinces of Afghanistan.
- Kandahar : A city in the southeastern part of Aghanistan, the capital of Kandahar Province (the largest in the country), and, during the Taliban rule, their headquarters
- Arghandab River : Add brief definition or description
- Helmand River : Add brief definition or description
- Registan Desert : Add brief definition or description
- Afghan Ring Road : Add brief definition or description
- Helmand Province : A province of southern Afghanistan, on the border with Pakistan; largest land area of any province but relatively small population
- Uruzgan Province : A province of south-central Afghanistan, with major security problems and little development; a major opium growing area; Dutch and Australian forces help provide security
- Zabul Province : Add brief definition or description
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Balochistan Province : The largest province of Pakistan (also written Baluchistan); relatively autonomous like the Northwest Frontier Province and Federally Administered Tribal Areas; capital is Quetta; borders Iran and Afghanistan.
- Tooryalai Wesa : Add brief definition or description Governor
- Matiullah Qateh : Add brief definition or description Chief of police
- Gul Agha Sherzai : Governor of Nangarhar Province in Afghanistan, formerly more controversial as governor of Kandahar Province; a Pashtun who fought the Soviets
- Muhammad Omar : Salafist cleric and leader of the Taliban
- Abdullah Abdullah : Candidate in the 2009 Afghanistan presidential election; former Foreign Minister; ophthalmologist; half Tajik and half Pashtun but tends to be regarded as Tajik
Religious and ethnic groups
- Taliban : Salafist Islamic militia, governing Afghanistan 1996–2001; still fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Pashtun people : An Eastern Iranian ethnic group primarily located in Southern Afghanistan in the Northwest Frontier Province, Federally Administered Tribal Area and Balochistan Province of western Pakistan; language is Pashto
- Tajik : An ethnic group of Central Asia, culturally Persian and speaking the Dari dialect of Farsi; they are the dominant group of Tajikistan and the second largest ethnic group of Afghanistan
- Afghan and Pakistani local forces : In Afghanistan and Pakistan, especially within Pashtun culture, tribes will raise local forces variously as akarbai (community police), lashkar (fighters for a common threat) and paid militias
- C. Christine Fair : Political scientist, specializing in South Asian military affairs, for the RAND Corporation; author of Cuisines of the Axis of Evil and Other Irritating States: A Dinner Party Approach to International Relations
- International Security Assistance Force : United Nations authorized, North Atlantic Treaty Organization-commanded military and security force in Afghanistan, in both a combat and training role