Institute for Defense Analyses/Related Articles
- U.S. Department of Defense : The military forces of the United States and their supporting civil servants.
- Think tank : An organization that presents ideas as expert analysis, the level of objectivity of which varies with the institution, but with an implication of at least some intellectual independence.
- National Security Agency : An organization within the United States Department of Defense, with the dual roles of the principal signals intelligence agency in the United States intelligence community, but also having the responsibility for information assurance of military, diplomatic, and other critical communications.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration : Independent agency of the U.S. government responsible for the nation's public space program.
- Office of Science and Technology Policy : The White House staff office, headed by the Science Advisor to the President, which advises on scientific issues at Presidential level
Executives and Board
- David Chu : President and CEO, Institute for Defense Analyses; Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (2001-2008), Assistant Secretary of Defense for Program Analysis and Evaluation (1981-1993), and as the Assistant Director for National Security and International Affairs in the Congressional Budget Office (1978-1981); RAND Corporation
- John Palms : Chairman of the Board, Institute for Defense Analyses; retired President of the University of South Carolina
- Steve Abbot : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; President and Chief Executive Officer, Navy Marine Corps Relief Society; Former Acting Homeland Security Advisor to the President
- Edwin Dorn : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense AnalysesProfessor, LBJ School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin; Former Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness)
- R. Keith Elliott : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Retired Chairman and CEO, Hercules Incorporated
- Carlton Fulford, Jr : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Board of Directors, Jamestown Foundation; General, U.S. Marine Corps, retired; Director, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, National Defense University; Former Deputy Commander, United States European Command; Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force Pacific
- Edward Jayne, II : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense AnalysesPartner, Heidrick & Struggles, and Managing Partner, Global Aerospace, Defense, and Aviation Practice, Heidrick & Struggles; Former President, McDonnell Douglas Missile Systems Company; Associate Director for National Security and International Affairs, Office of Management and Budget
- Martha Krebs : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Energy Research and Development Division, California Energy Commission; Former Assistant Secretary and Director, Office of Science, U.S. Department of Energy
- Jill Mesirov : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Associate Institute Director, Chief Informatics Officer, and Director, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Programs, The Eli and Edythe L. Broad Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology & Harvard University; Former Manager of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, IBM; Director of Research, Thinking Machines Corporation
- William Press : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Laboratory Senior Fellow and Former Deputy Laboratory Director for Science, Technology & Programs, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Thomas Ridge : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; President & CEO, Ridge Global LLC; Board of advisers, American Foreign Policy Council; Former United States Secretary of Homeland Security; Former Governor of Pennsylvania
- Gordon Sullivan : General, U.S. Army, retired; former Chief of Staff of the Army; Chairman Emeritus, Center for Security Policy; Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; USA (Ret.) President, Association of the U.S. Army;
- Larry Welch : Board of Directors, Henry L. Stimson Center; Board of Directors, former President, Institute for Defense Analyses; member, Defense Policy Board; General, U.S. Air Force, retired; former Chief of Staff of the Air Force and commanding general of the Strategic Air Command; established the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies
- John White : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Lecturer in Public Policy, JFK School of Government, Harvard University; Former Deputy Secretary of Defense; Deputy Director, Office of Management and Budget
- Sheila Widnall : Board of Trustees, Institute for Defense Analyses; Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Former Secretary of the Air Force
- Suzanne Woolsey : Chief Communications Officer, National Academies of Science, Medicine and Engineering; Lead Trustee, Rocky Mountain Institute; Member, Council on Foreign Relations; Board member, German Marshall Fund, Van Kampen Mutual Funds, the Colorado College, Neurogen Corporation and Intelligent Medical Devices LLC, and the Institute for Defense Analyses; spouse of R. James Woolsey; Former Associate Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget; consulting partner, Coopers and Lybrand; member, Washington Post editorial board; Chief Operating Officer, National Academies of Science, Medicine and Engineering and National Research Council
- RAND Corporation : Among the oldest of think tanks, established by the fledgling United States Air Force to provide alternate perspectives on its concepts; now broadened to working on an extremely wide range of politicomilitary and social issues
- MITRE Corporation : Add brief definition or description
- Center for Naval Analyses : Add brief definition or description
- Dennis Blair : Director of National Intelligence in the Obama administration; Deputy Executive Director and Guiding Coalition, Project for National Security Reform; retired Admiral, United States Navy; only destroyer captain known to have water-skied behind his warship
- Chas Freeman : Withdrew nomination to head National Intelligence Council; expert panel, Iraq Study Group; retired Foreign Service Officer; Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs (1993-94); U.S. Ambassador to Saudi Arabia (1989-1992)
- John Joseph Martin : (b. 1922) American aviation engineer, presidential scientific advisor, and administrator at NASA, notable for his publication Atmospheric Entry, a book about designing atmospheric reentry vehicles.
- William Y. Smith : Retired general, U.S. Air Force, with post-retirement work in think tanks and interest groups strategic and industrial planning, history, public access to information, and U.S. political decisionmaking; intimate access, as a junior officer, to Cuban Missile Crisis details
- Jeffrey Kendall : Brigadier general, U.S. Air Force, Deputy Director of Intelligence, Operations and Nuclear Integration for Flying Training, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas; Council on Foreign Relations military fellow