East Turkestan/Related Articles
- See also changes related to East Turkestan, or pages that link to East Turkestan or to this page or whose text .
- Central Asia : A geographic area with many definitions, one common one based on the newly independent, predominantly Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union
- China : The most populous nation on Earth, third largest by area.
- Uighur : A Turkic ethnic group originally from the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in China.
- East Turkestan Independence Movement : A separatist movement for Uighurs, which, with some controversy, has been designated a terrorist organization
- Tibet : plateau region of Asia homes to various groups, including the majority indigenous Tibetan people; known as 'the roof of the world'.
- Turkic languages : Language family of Asia and Europe.
- Uighur detainees in Guantanamo : Prisoners captured in Afghanistan by the U.S., and determined to be members of an anti-Chinese organization not opposed to the U.S.; they are in limbo as they cannot be sent to China but other countries have been reluctant to take them
- Afghanistan : A Islamic republic in Central Asia, with an unstable but elected government; borders China, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan
- Kyrgyzstan : A landlocked central Asian nation, formerly part of the Soviet Union; after a coup, it successfully held democratic elections
- Soviet Union : A Communist state, which took over the Russian Empire, after the Russian Revolution of 1917 that existed from 1922 to 1991; the major part now extant as the Russian Federation