A doxology is a short prayer of praise to God used by Christians, especially during worship services. Several doxologies have become standard across a number of Christian denominaitons.
Doxologies are usually the closing praises of longer prayers, intercessions and hymns, but the most often used doxolgies are so well known that they are often used as stand alone praises.
Among the best known doxologies are:
- Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow, (The Doxology, The Common Doxology)
- Gloria Patri (Glory be to the Father, and to the Son) (Trinitarian Doxology)
- For Thine is the Kingdom, and the power and the glory (from the Lord's Prayer
- Through Him, with Him and in Him (Eucharistic Doxology)
- A threefold or especially fivefold Amen (The Great Amen), though not strictly speaking a doxology, is often used as one.