From the 5th district of Michigan, containing Flint, Michigan and surrounding Genesee County, Saginaw and eastern Saginaw County, Bay City and eastern Bay County and rural Tuscola County, in the "thumb" or Upper Peninsula, U.S. Representative Dale Kildee (1929-) is a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives. He was elected in 1976, following servce in the Michigan House and Senate, and high school teaching.
He voted for democracy promotion in Pakistan, against nuclear cooperation with China, Voted YES on supporting democratic institutions in Pakistan. With respect to China, he voted for deterring its arms trade and against normalizing trade relations. He has been supportive of the United Nations. While he voted for a travel ban to Cuba in 2001, until political prisoners were released, he voted for allowing travel in 2009.
Co-chairman of the Congressional Native American Caucus, he introduced H.R. 3742 to extend Act of June 18, 1934, to reaffirm the authority of the Secretary of the Interior to take land into trust for Indian tribes. Previously, the Secretary could act as trustees only for tribes on a specific list, rather than all tribes..
In 2009, he introduced a bill, H.R. 413 to support collective bargaining for public safety officers employed by states and municipalities.
"Values", Family and Women's Issues
He was rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record in December 2003, and 100% by National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) indicating a pro-life stance in Decemeber 2006. He is Catholic, but supportive of same-sex marriage. The Christian Coalition gave him a 46% rating in 2003, mixed according to their standards on family values; he opposes school prayer. The Americans United for Separation of Church and State gave him a favorable 83% rating.
- U.S. House Committee on Education and Labor
- Chairman of the [[Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education
- Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor and Pensions
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- Co-chair, Congressional Automotive Caucus
- Co-chair, Congressional Native American Caucus
- Congressional Human Rights Caucus
- American Federation of Teachers
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Sacred Heart Seminary, B.A.
- University of Detroit, Teacher's Certificate
- M.A., University of Michigan
- Graduate studies in history and political science at the University of Peshawar, Pakistan, under a Rotary Foundation Fellowship.