- 1 Libations, and teaming arrangements for Attractions?
- 2 The BIG Collaboration
- 3 Write-a-Thon equals cyclonic storms
- 4 I don't actually have a FAVOURITE band!
- 5 February 2009 - by popular demand "Thoughts and Books"
- 6 Has MWaT gone off the rails?
- 7 Revamp
- 8 Moved from main page
- 9 August 2011 WAT suggested themes/topics
Libations, and teaming arrangements for Attractions?
Somewhere in the libation list has to be madeira -- accompanied by "Have some Madeira, m'dear".
I was thinking of some places I've been, can't easily go revisit, and wonder if some teaming might be possible. For example, one small but outstanding attraction is the Museum of the Resistance in Copenhagen. Oh, I went there interested in the history, but in reading commentaries, including the "we wish it were true, but the King didn't put on the first yellow star". To me, even beyond the heroism, it's a chronicle of a community that constantly was guided by one principle: Do The Right Thing.
Any Danes here, who might do a proxy visit?
If it helps, while I'm no longer living in the DC area (not by choice), I'm a pretty good tourguide to Washington DC, including some things that don't often get visited.
Howard C. Berkowitz 23:05, 5 August 2008 (CDT)
- with a beard on her earlobe that tickled and said, "Haaaaaaaaaave some Madeira, m'deara....?" Ah way, where are the debauches of yesteryear? Hayford Peirce 23:23, 5 August 2008 (CDT)
- I've only ever heard this poem once, recited by the late Tony Randall, a man of great talent that I only came to know of late in his life.
- I say we definitely all work on Madeira next time, with a view to making it libation of the month. Is it always capital 'M'? (My gut says 'yes', but see how little I know?)
- Aleta Curry 22:50, 7 August 2008 (CDT)
The BIG Collaboration
Now that we've had a Big Collaboration experiment, and people are making suggestions and this is at the top of the Write-a-Thon page, may I suggest that we begin CZ:The Big Collaboration if participants are so inclined?
We could link to THE BIG COLLABORATION on the monthly write-a-thon page, and link to the write-a-thon on the Big Collaboration page. Since the write-a-thon is, I think, an unqualified success, I would not like to see it hijacked or see the momentum destroyed.
Aleta Curry 22:47, 7 August 2008 (CDT)
- Hi Aleta, I didn't mean to hijack or to destroy momentum. On the contrary - if wisely chosen, I think that THE BIG COLLABORATION might even lend momentum to the write-a-thon, as this will almost certainly be an article on which you will not be working alone. So I suggest that we always have a BIG COLLABORATION article that fits the chosen write-a-thon theme, e.g. Music for September, something like House, Household or Housekeeping for October, National park for November and so on. -- Daniel Mietchen 03:35, 28 August 2008 (CDT)
- I just noticed this--I don't see why it would "hijack" the Write-a-Thon, Aleta. But would you prefer that, in the future, we move it to a different day? It doesn't have to happen on the Write-a-Thon day. I wouldn't like to constrain the topic chosen by whatever the Write-a-Thon theme is, as Daniel suggests.
- We can move the topic further down the page.
- I think that we could have The Big Collaboration twice a month - maybe have it on the first and third Wednesday of every month - so that we can have people work on it as a Write-A-Thon project and also again later in the month. I think we should aim to make it so that every day there is a topic of collaboration. --Tom Morris 08:01, 3 September 2008 (CDT)
Write-a-Thon equals cyclonic storms
OK, i missed the last one due to Tropical Storm Edoardo, and the upcoming W-A-T seems to be lining up with Hurricane/Tropical Storm Gustav's arrival next Tues or Weds. I'm starting to suspect that the W-A-T is the cause of all cyclonic storms near Texas and may ask to have them cancelled soon! David E. Volk 13:48, 28 August 2008 (CDT).
- BELATED UPDATE (2011-06-30). Note how Hurricane Ike wiped us out in Galveston 1 month after I wrote the above??? David E. Volk 16:01, 30 June 2011 (UTC)
I don't actually have a FAVOURITE band!
There are lots of bands I like, and lots of music I like, and lots of people whose voices I like, and...and...oh, where to start??? Aleta Curry 17:29, 31 August 2008 (CDT)
- Then tell me about any Aussie bands that I should get to know! David E. Volk 18:12, 31 August 2008 (CDT)
February 2009 - by popular demand "Thoughts and Books"
I kinda think this should be 'Thought', but what the heck.
Let's go, kids!
Now, can some thoughtful soul archive January and give us a blank page for Feb so that those who like to jump the gun can get going?
Also, how about a volunteer to lead the first Sunday WaT adjunct session on 8th February and see how it goes?
Aleta Curry 01:45, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- How about an original subset, such as thoughtless books? Howard C. Berkowitz 02:16, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- An adjunct session? I've been an adjunct. Don't get me started. If I write for the adjunct session does it mean that I'll get less pay and fewer benefits than the people who write for the tenure-track session? And will I need to renew my membership in the United Auto Workers (which, no kidding, represents the adjuncts at UCSD)? Bruce M.Tindall 02:25, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- Oh, brother! Everybody's a comedian!'
- Bruce, I faithfully promise that you will get the same level of pay and gratitude if you write during the Sunday session as you do for all your other fabulous work for CZ.
- Aleta Curry 22:50, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Wow, it seems we are gonna have a lot of fun. can we start yet? filling up the ballons! lol Dalton Holland Baptista 01:11, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- 'Course you can! (Know any good Brazilian cocktails?) Welcome to CZ! Aleta Curry 22:21, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
Has MWaT gone off the rails?
It's June 19th, but the Monthly Write-a-Thon page says the next one is on June 3rd, and there's no mention of the July WaT, and there's essentially no reports from the June one. What happened? I know I've been spending less time here because of family stuff, but this sounds like an epidemic. Anthony Argyriou 01:24, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
- I've gone and done some cleanup in preparation for July. Can we get suggestions on themes and drinks? I'll suggest "Independence", since it falls on Canada Day, and shortly before the U.S.'s Independence Day. But of course, there's more to independence than national independence. Anthony Argyriou 01:53, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
I've just done quite a revamp on the WAT page. Theres over a week until the next WAT, so there is chance for anyone who objects to revert it. The aim of the revamp is to simplify it completely. There was all this talk of bonus points, and waaay too many instructions for something that was quite simple. Hopefully this will encourage Citizens who have never joined in before to jump in. --Chris Key 14:44, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
Moved from main page
- Geez, I didn't bother to READ very carefully -- I thought you said that the Write-a-Thon would be this coming Wednesday, here in JUNE!!!! So I just wrote the whole wretched Ken McGregor article, complete with Public Domain images!!!! Shall I ask a Constable to Delete it and then copy it back in when July rolls around? Hayford Peirce 22:56, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
- no way! you might strive to think of another one for July, I hope!Pat Palmer 03:24, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
- Shall we accept, WAT, for 'Write-a-thon', or give us an official abbr/acron, to use in Edit summaries? Anthony.Sebastian 02:12, 30 June 2011 (UTC)
- Wot? Wot? Wot the devil are you tryin' to say, man? WAT as an acronynm, no, never! Anyway, as I recall, right at the start of the *original* set of rules was the one that said Citizens would be summarily expelled for using any acron. except CZ! Hayford Peirce 16:26, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- I agree with Hayford. Abbreviations should be used rather sparingly. Except CZ EC for Citizendium Zealots' Evil Conspiracy. That one is very useful. Johan Förberg 02:30, 12 August 2011 (UTC)
August 2011 WAT suggested themes/topics
Please enter your suggestions for the August topic here.