Battle of Tora Bora/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Battle of Tora Bora, or pages that link to Battle of Tora Bora or to this page or whose text .
- Afghanistan War (2001-), major combat phase : During the Afghanistan War (2001-), the period of combat by Afghan ground forces, with U.S. and British air & special operations support, which drove the Taliban and al-Qaeda from their bases, in October through December 2001
- Osama bin Laden : Radical jihadist who, with Ayman al-Zawahiri, founded a group known as al-Qaeda, which is credited with a series of terrorist attacks.
- Nangarhar Province : A province on the east of Afghanistan, on the Pakistani frontier, which forms its south and eastern sides; its major internal boundaries are with Kabul Province on its west, Langhman and Kunar Provinces to the north; the capital is Jalalabad, nearest town to the Battle of Tora Bora
- Joint Special Operations Command : A major subordinate unit of the United States Special Operations Command, which takes on the most sensitive covert military operations, usually working unacknowledged within the geographic area of a Unified Combatant Command
- Dell Dailey : Currently Counterterrorism Coordinator for the U.S. Department of State, a retired U.S. Army lieutenant general whose career was spent in special operations
- Gregory Trebon : Add brief definition or description
- Advanced Force Operations : Clandestine operations, not primarily for Intelligence Preparation of the Battlespace, conducted by special operations personnel prior to major combat, but preparing for combat operations (e.g., target selection, guerrilla liaison, setting up evasion and escape networks).
- 5th Special Forces Group : One of the older United States Army Special Forces groups first serving in Vietnam, the unit now supports United States Central Command in the Middle East, Central Asia and Horn of Africa
- 10th Mountain Division : A division headquarters of the United States Army, made up of light brigade combat teams that can be deployed with a minimum of long-range transport resources
- Eastern Alliance : Add brief definition or description
- Hazrat Ali : A Pashai and Afghan internal security commander of Nangarhar Province at the time of the Battle of Tora Bora; member of the Eastern Alliance
- Mohammed Zaman : Add brief definition or description
- Haji Zahir : Add brief definition or description
- Richard Clarke : Career U.S. defense official who served in policy posts in the Ronald Reagan,George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush Administrations, specializing in counterterrorism in the latter two
- Tommy Franks : Head of United States Central Command during the start of the Afghanistan War (2001-) and Iraq War; retired as a general
- Gary Harrell : Add brief definition or description