Automatic Identification System/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Automatic Identification System, or pages that link to Automatic Identification System or to this page or whose text .
- International Maritime Organization : The United Nations agency responsible for avoiding pollution from ships, and implementing the Safety of Life at Sea convention
- Maritime safety : Add brief definition or description
- Navigation : Techniques for determining one's own position, a feasible course to be taken to a desired new position, and journeying on that course
- Safety of Life at Sea : International convention defining safety requirements for ships
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System : Mandated by the Safety of Life at Sea convention of the International Maritime Organization system of digital radio and other systems for ships to receive alerts and signal search and rescue organizations when they are in distress.
- Global Navigation Satellite System : A system which allows small electronic devices to determine their location (Longitude, Latitude, and Altitude) as well as time with an accuracy of up to a few centimetres using time signals transmitted along a line of sight by radio from satellites.
- Mobile ad hoc networking : A family of mobile computing techniques in which not only the hosts move, sometimes at supersonic speed, but the routers and other devices organizing them into networks also move
- Radar : (acronym for "radio detection and ranging") A technique used for detecting and tracking targets, navigation, imagery, and special applications.
- Radio : Transmission and reception of information, which can be voice, data or imagery over electromagnetic radiation in free space (i.e., wireless). The information is modulated onto a carrier wave
- Search and rescue : The location of those in distress from natural, accidental, or hostile causes; on-scene medical stabilization and extrication; evacuation to treatment or other safe facilities
- Search and rescue transponder : A device used by personnel in need of rescue, which assists in the final part of the search by interacting with search radar and guiding the rescuers to the victim
- Transponder : A device, used in navigation, air traffic control, Safety of Life at Sea, and military operations (e.g., Identification-friend-or-foe which, when interrogated by an appropriate radio or radar signal, replies with its identification and other relevant navigation data
- Vessel monitoring system : System used in commercial fishing to allow environmental and fisheries regulatory organizations to monitor, minimally, the position, time at a position, and course and speed of fishing vessels.