Amphibious warfare/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Amphibious warfare, or pages that link to Amphibious warfare or to this page or whose text .
- Amphibious Ready Group : A group of amphibious warfare ships that can carry a U.S. Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) or U.K. Royal Marine Commando
- Marine Air-Ground Task Force : The basic structure of United States Marine Corps combined arms, task-organized units
- Royal Marine Commando : The basic amphibious maneuver unit of the Royal Marines
- Attack cargo ship : A WWII-era U.S. Navy ship designed specifically to carry heavy equipment, supplies and troops in support of amphibious assaults, and to provide naval gunfire support during those assaults.
- Combat loading : A method of loading cargo into ships that will carry it to amphibious landing sites, such that can be unloaded in a manner optimized to meet the operational needs of combat rather than maximizing the utilization of the ship's cargo space
- Landing craft : A boat or other self-propelled watercraft, carried aboard a ship, intended for amphibious warfare or similar operations where landings at a prepared seaport are not practical. Such a craft may discharge troops or equipment on the beach, or may be capable of independent movement on land.
- Landing Craft, Air Cushioned : Add brief definition or description
- Landing Platform Dock : (LPD) Large amphibious warfare ships with both an internal dock that can be flooded to allow smaller landing craft to swim out, as well as a flight deck for helicopters and STOVL aircraft
- Landing Platform Helicopter : A medium-sized amphibious warfare ship that primarily uses helicopters to land troops; it does not have the well deck of a larger Landing Helicopter Dock
- Landing Helicopter Dock : Amphibious warfare ships with both an internal dock that can be flooded to allow smaller landing craft to swim out, as well as a flight deck for helicopters and STOVL aircraft; with more flight deck space than the current Landing Platform Dock ships
- Landing Helicopter Assault ship : Add brief definition or description
- Landing Ship Dock : A seagoing amphibious warfare ship with a well deck that can be flooded to let landing craft enter and leave under their own power, but without the ability to operate large numbers of helicopters
- Landing Ship Logistics : Add brief definition or description
- Large Amphibious Landing Ship : A new class of U.K. Royal Fleet Auxiliary amphibious warfare ships, carrying Royal Marines and equipment, and intended to discharge troops and equipment without needing to beach themselves as did their predecessors
- Prepositioning ship : Military cargo ships, normally in squadrons of several vessels, that are prepositioned at secure forward locations, in order to speed delivery of sustainment supplies to the initial forces landed by air or from combat amphibious warfare ships.
Historic amphibious operations
- Battle of Aboukir Bay : Add brief definition or description
- Gallipoli Campaign : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Guadalcanal : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Tarawa : Fought in November 1943, a U.S. Marine Corps force made an amphibious attack in the Tarawa atoll of the Gilbert Islands, principally against the island of Betio; it was an American victory but with very high casualties, and a significant part of a distinct strategic offense
- Battle of Saipan : Fought between 15 June 1944 and 8 July 1944, the U.S. capture of an island regarded by the Japanese as a key part of their innermost defensive line; caused the fall of the Tojo Government and its replacement with a less pro-war Prime Minister; became the first island base allowing significant attacks on Japan by B-29 long-range bombers
- Battle of Iwo Jima : An exceptionally vicious battle, fought in February 1945, which solidified the U.S. strategic bombing of Japan by providing a closer island base, which both could support P-51 escort fighters and provide an emergency landing field for damage B-29 bombers
- Operation TORCH : Add brief definition or description
- Operation HUSKY : Add brief definition or description
- Operation NEPTUNE : Allied code name, within Operation OVERLORD, for the actual Normandy landing