AIM-9 Sidewinder/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to AIM-9 Sidewinder, or pages that link to AIM-9 Sidewinder or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/AIM-9 Sidewinder. Needs checking by a human.
- 2K12 KUB : Also known by the NATO designation SA-6 GAINFUL, this is a highly mobile surface-to-air missile system with both radar and passive television, the latter allowing it to engage targets without telltale radar emissions. It entered Soviet service in 1970, but has gone constant improvement and remains operational in a number of countries, optimized for low to medium air defense.
- A-10 Thunderbolt II : A heavily armed close air support and ground attack aircraft, which can loiter over a battlefield and then hit targets with great accuracy, while retaining high survivability against ground fire.
- AH-1 Cobra : The first purpose-built U.S. attack helicopter, introduced by the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War; the U.S. Marine Corps still operates a much-modified version
- AIM-120 AMRAAM : A high-performance. beyond-visual-range, air-to-air missile with inertial midcourse guidance and active radar terminal guidane, developed by the U.S. and used on the aircraft of a number of countries, as well as in surface-to-air missile variants
- APG-63 : A radar system for F-15 Eagle and, in its fourth version, F-15E Strike Eagle fighters
- Air-to-air missile : A guided missile fired by one aircraft at another airborne target, such as an aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicle, or cruise missile
- Anti-ballistic missile : A guided missile that is capable of destroying a ballistic missile, usually by "hit-to-kill" physical collision during boost phase, midcourse, or terminal phase of the target's trajectory
- Electro-optical MASINT : A subdiscipline of measurement and signature intelligence (MASINT), which has similarities to but complements imagery intelligence (IMINT); it does not form images, but validates them and produces information on phenomena that emit, absorb, or reflect electromagnetic energy in the infrared, visible light, or ultraviolet spectra, where the value is knowledge of the type of energy detected
- F-15 Eagle : A series of air superiority fighters, designed for the United States Air Force and flown by several countries; intended for the high role in the high-low mix; The F-15E Strike Eagle is a multirole fighter variant.
- F-15 series fighter aircraft : A series of fourth-generation air-to-air and all-weather fighter-bomber aircraft developed by the U.S. Air Force as the high end of a "high-low" mix with the F-16 Fighting Falcon; used by several friendly countries and has the best air-to-air combat record of any operational fighter
- F-18 Super Hornet : A new generation of carrier-based fighter beyond the F-18 Hornet, this evolution provides an architecture with even greater expansion, especially with the AN/APG-79 AESA radar, more powerful computers and communications, and a new engine with longer range.
- F-4 Phantom II : An extremely successful third-generation fighter, the first effective multirole fighter, which, even after its replacement as a first-line fighter, continued in reconnaissance and suppression of enemy air defense roles well into the 1990s.
- Falklands War : 1982 war between Argentina and the United Kingdom over the Falkland Islands and their dependencies.
- Fighter aircraft : Airplanes that have a principal mission of destroying other airplanes in flight, often with a secondary capability to attack ground targets
- Forward Area Air Defense : A U.S. military command and control system for managing air defense, which includes both artillery/air deconfliction and counter-rocket, artillery and mortar missions, near the main battle line, typically under brigade control
- Guided missile : A weapon that flies through air or space, under its own power, which adjusts its course to hit its target.
- Hit-to-kill : The infliction of damage by a weapon, which does not depend on other than mechanical energy transfer. At the low end, it can be as simple as a bullet hitting a nonmoving target, and at the high end, it can include the immense energies of a collision between an incoming ballistic missile and an intercept vehicle. It is a subset of kinetic kill, which includes explosives and other physically destructive "hard kill" mechanisms.
- Network Centric Airborne Defense Element (missile) : An air-launched anti-ballistic missile intended for boost-phase intercept, built on largely existing components from the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles and AN/APG-63 radar
- North American Air Defense Command : The joint Canada-U.S. military organization responsible for aerospace threat warning and defense for North America
- Novator R-172 (missile) : An extremely long-range Russian air-to-air missile, licensed to India, apparently optimized for attacking high-value assets such as Airborne Warning and Control System, air refueling and cruise missile carrier aircraft
- Operation Bolo : An offensive counter-air operation, sometimes called a fighter sweep, in which a formation of aircraft, looking like bombers and escorts, flew into North Vietnam to invite fighter attack; the attackers discovered that the "bombers" were actually air superiority fighters
- Operation ROLLING THUNDER : Initial sustained U.S. air campaign against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam), based on a controversial model of retaliation and gradually increasing pressure rather than a short and intense campaign intended to destroy, not dissuade and punish
- Precision-guided munition : A powered or unpowered weapon that adjusts its flight path to hit a specific target, with a circular error probability in the low number of meters, often less than the radius of destruction
- RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile : A joint U.S.-German system for final defense against supersonic, sea-skimming anti-shipping missiles such as the Russian Moskit series, generically designated by NATO as SS-N-22 SUNBURN
- RIM-161 Standard SM-3 : Add brief definition or description
- Soviet support for Iran during the Iran-Iraq War : Add brief definition or description
- Vympel K-13 (missile) : Add brief definition or description
- Vympel R-60 (missile) : Add brief definition or description
- Vympel R-73 (missile) : Add brief definition or description