2004 Madrid bombings/Related Articles
- See also changes related to 2004 Madrid bombings, or pages that link to 2004 Madrid bombings or to this page or whose text .
- Spain : South-west European parliamentary monarchy (population c. 40.5 million; capital Madrid) between the Atlantic Ocean and Bay of Biscay to the north-west and the Mediterranean Sea to the south and east; the Pyrenees mountain range forms the border with France to the north-east, and Portugal is situated to the west.
- Terrorism : An act, with targets including civilians or civilian infrastructure, intended to create an atmosphere of fear in order to obtain a political objective.
- Improvised explosive device : A destructive device, not completely made from purpose-built military components, that is intended to cause destruction by means of an explosive charge and perhaps other components that increase damage
- Radicalization : Political choices that grow from a sense, by individuals (i.e., self-radicalization) or groups in a society, that peaceful methods have brought no political dividends in terms of goals they consider legitimate
- David Kilcullen : A former Australian infantry officer with a doctorate in the study of insurgency and history, he is an advisor on counterinsurgency to the Australian and U.S. governments. His models draw a sharp distinction between the tactic of terror, and the conduct of wars that make use of that tactic. Board of Advisors, Center for a New American Security
- Al-Qaeda : International islamist terrorist network. Responsible for the 9-11 attack and other terrorist attacks.
- Iraq War : Invasion of Iraq by a coalition of countries, led by the United States, in 2003, and subsequent occupation
- Fernando Reinares : Spanish academic and government specialist in terrorism, especially international vs. transnational distinctions and self-radicalization
- Euskadi Ta Askatasuna : Basque separatist movement, abbreviated ETA.
- Jose Maria Aznar : President, Foundation for Social Analysis and Study; Member, Global Leadership Foundation; member, international advisory board, Atlantic Council; Former Prime Minister of Spain (1996-2004)