User talk:Matthew Allen Thorn
Welcome to the Citizendium! We hope you will contribute boldly and well. Here are pointers for a quick start. You'll probably want to know how to get started as an author. Just look at CZ:Getting Started for other helpful "startup" links, and CZ:Home for the top menu of community pages. Be sure to stay abreast of events via the Citizendium-L (broadcast) mailing list (do join!) and the blog. Please also join the workgroup mailing list(s) that concern your particular interests. You can test out editing in the sandbox if you'd like. If you need help to get going, the forums is one option. That's also where we discuss policy and proposals. You can ask any constable for help, too. Me, for instance! Just put a note on their "talk" page. Again, welcome and have fun! Larry Sanger 14:31, 24 September 2008 (CDT)
Hi, Matt! Good to see you here. Tim's here as well. William L. Benzon 19:02, 24 September 2008 (CDT)
- Looks like we got here. Timothy Perper 19:15, 24 September 2008 (CDT)
- Well, after reading your bios I feel like a dork for writing my bio in the third person and sounding like I've got a stick up my ass. I'll have to edit it before anyone else sees it. Matthew Allen Thorn 20:38, 24 September 2008 (CDT)
- Looks like we're being "invaded" by comics guys. Welcome, all! If anybody gives you grief about starting manga articles, let me know! --Larry Sanger 21:00, 24 September 2008 (CDT)
TP Manga Sandboxes
Hi, Matt. I've created a set of Sandboxes for revising the manga articles and other stuff. They're listed at User:Timothy Perper/SDBXIndex with links and brief descriptions. The mechanics are just like they were at Wiki. Don't forget that you can email me with comments and suggestions as well as leave them on the sandbox pages. I suspect we're going to miss Malkinann... Timothy Perper 10:50, 27 September 2008 (CDT)
- Are you getting messages here? If so, I've finished downloading and preliminary editing of the History of Manga article from Wikipedia. It will have to be sourced to Wikipedia but we'll take care of that later. I am now working on a complete revision of the references (a big job that is!), eliminating as much garbage as I can, and adding new material.
- It now needs
- A section on manga before WW2. You're the expert and I can't do it without your substantive input.
- A revision, which I've begun, to make it a more general manga article.
- Concerning "approving" the article at some point, I frankly do not want it approved. Such articles on CZ are very difficult to revise, and that is not good. That means, I suggest, that you can work on the article without worrying about it.
- The article is at User:Timothy Perper/SandboxHistManga.
- Timothy Perper 13:59, 29 September 2008 (CDT)
- Hi, Ti. Yes, I'm getting my messages, and am more-or-less following the activity in your sandboxes. I've just been distracted by real-life, and frankly a bit daunted by the task ahead. The history section in particular jumps all over the place, often giving undue weight to obscure or only peripherally significant material while ignoring more important material that occupies a pretty central place in the Japanese-language discourse on manga history. But I like your idea of not even trying for approval. I hadn't considered that possibility. That liberates me to contribute without worrying about the author/editor conflict. I'll dive in soon, but right now I have other things to attend to. Matthew Allen Thorn 20:36, 29 September 2008 (CDT)