Rutherford B. Hayes/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Bridges, Roger D. ""The Betrayal of the Freedmen? Rutherford B. Hayes and the End of Reconstruction?" (1996) online edition
- DeSantis, Vincent P. Republicans Face the Southern Question (1959), looks at GOP attempts to find a substitute for their failed Reconstruction program.
- Holt, Michael F. "Another Look at the Presidential Election of 1876" (2006) Hayes Lecture on the Presidency online
- Hoogenboom, Ari. Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior and President (1995), the standard scholarly biography.
- Hoogenboom, Ari. The Presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes (1988), the standard scholarly survey
- Hoogenboom, Ari. "Inaugurating a 'Most Successful Administration (2002) Hayes Lecture on the Presidency online
- Hoogenboom, Ari. "Rutherford B. Hayes and African-Americans," (1996) online edition
- Hoogenboom, Ari. Outlawing the Spoils: A History of the Civil Service Reform Movement, 1865-1883 (1961), the standard history.
- Jordan, David M. Roscoe Conkling of New York (1971), on Hayes's toughest enemy
- McPherson, James M. "Coercion or Conciliation? Abolitionists Debate President Hayes's Southern Policy," New England Quarterly 39 (1966) in JSTOR
- Plesur, Milton. America's Outward Thrust (1971), argues Hayes's foreign policy was a forerunners of the more aggressive policies of McKinley and Roosevelt.
- Polakoff, Keith Ian. The Politics of Inertia (1973), standard history of the disputed election of 1876 and its settlement.
- Simpson, Brooks. "The Good Colonel: Rutherford B. Hayes Remembers the Civil War," (2003) Hayes Lecture on the Presidency online
- Trefousse, Hans L. Carl Schurz (1982), biography of the cabinet member closest to Hayes.
- Vazzano, Frank. "Rutherford B. Hayes and the Politics of Discord," Historian, 68 (Fall 2006), 519–40.
- Bishop, Arthur ed. Rutherford Hayes, 1822-1893 (1969), contains lengthy excerpts from his most important state papers.
- Williams, Charles R. ed. Diary and Letters of Rutherford B. Hayes (5 vol 1922–1926); searchable online edition, 3000 pages
- Williams, T. Harry. ed., Hayes: The Diary of a President (1964), one volume abridged edition with many insights into Hayes' character and personality.