Gulf War, Coalition order of battle
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Revision as of 10:04, 2 February 2009 by Howard C. Berkowitz
This article lists the major military organizations involved in the Gulf. Command relationships often became complex, sometimes with the same officer having several jobs.
- Prince bin Sultan, commanding Saudi and Pan-Arab forces
- GEN H Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. , commanding United States Central Command, non-Arab allies. Final decisionmaker on operations in the theater.
United States Central Command
- GEN H Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. , commanding
- LTG Cal Waller, deputy commanding general; temporary commander of Third United States Army while LTG Yeosock was ill.
- LTG Sir Peter de la Billiere, commanding UK forces
GEN Schwarzkopf retained land combat command
- Third United States Army, LTG John Yeosock
- XVIII Airborne Corps], LTG Gary Luck
- VII Corps, LTG Fred Franks
- 1st Cavalry Division (CENTCOM reserve)
- I Marine Expeditionary Force LTG Walter Boomer (also Marine Component Commander)
- 1st Marine Division
- 2nd Marine Division
- U.S. Army "Tiger" armored brigade
- 22 Logistics Command
Special Operations Component
COL Jesse Johnson
- (unacknowledged) Joint Special Operations Command under MG Wayne Downing
- Elements, 75th Ranger Regiment
- Elements, 1st Special Operations Detachment (Delta)'
- Elements, 60th Special Operations Aviation Regiment