Chu Lai/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
< Chu Lai
Revision as of 16:52, 11 January 2010 by Housekeeping Bot (Automated edit: Adding CZ:Workgroups to Category:Bot-created Related Articles subpages)
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Chu Lai. Needs checking by a human.
- Cambodia : A country of Southeast Asia, on the Gulf of Thailand, sharing borders with Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos
- Da Nang : A coastal city approximately in the middle of Vietnam, which is an transportation hub for central Vietnam and was a major military base during the Vietnam War
- Doi moi : Market-oriented economic reforms, in the officially Communist Socialist Republic of Vietnam, introduced in 1986.
- Fall of South Vietnam : The result of a series of conventional military actions by the People's Army of Viet Nam, under the direction of the Politburo of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, which led to the dissolution of the Republic of Vietnam and the reunification of North and South Vietnam into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- I Corps tactical zone : The geographic command, under the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam, for the northernmost provinces of South Vietnam. It directly faced North Vietnam across the Demilitarized Zone, as well as having an important boundary with Laos.
- Landing craft : A boat or other self-propelled watercraft, carried aboard a ship, intended for amphibious warfare or similar operations where landings at a prepared seaport are not practical. Such a craft may discharge troops or equipment on the beach, or may be capable of independent movement on land.
- Laos : A country in Southeast Asia that was part of French Indochina, located northeast of Thailand and west of Vietnam, with short borders to Burma, Cambodia and China
- Operation STARLIGHT : The first offensive operation, in the Vietnam War, by the United States Marine Corps with the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, which pre-empted a Viet Cong attack on the logistics base at Chu Lai
- Quang Nam Province : A province in the central part of Vietnam, with coastal area on the South China Sea and a western border with Laos
- USS Mathews (AKA-96) : WWII U.S. Andromeda-class attack cargo ship
- USS Merrick (AKA-97) : WWII U.S. Andromeda-class attack cargo ship
- USS Skagit (AKA-105) : Tolland-class attack cargo ship
- USS Tulare (AKA-112) : U.S. Navy WWII C4 type attack cargo ship that operated from the 1950s into the late 1970s
- USS Winston (AKA-94) : Serving in WWII, an Andromeda-class attack cargo ship
- Victor Krulak : Rising to lieutenant general before retiring from the United States Marine Corps as commander of Fleet Marine Force, Pacific (FMFPAC), he was a decorated battalion commander in the Second World War, and then rose in command and staff assignments, becoming the first Special Assistant for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities, and thus a key advisor in the early parts of the Vietnam War. His son, GEN Charles Krulak, became Commandant of the Marine Corps
- Viet Cong : The military wing of the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (NLF); a generic term for Communist forces in South Vietnam during the Vietnam War
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- Wars of Vietnam : The broad context of warfare in the modern area of Vietnam, of which the Vietnam War (1962-1975) is best known, but involves colonization, Japanese occupation, decolonization, and post-1975 but related warfare among Vietnam, Cambodia and China