William Lyon Mackenzie King/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Allen, Ralph. Ordeal by Fire: Canada, 1910-1945, (1961), 492pp online edition
- Betcherman, Lita-Rose. Ernest Lapointe: Mackenzie King's Great Quebec Lieutenant. (2002). 435 pp.
- Creighton, Donald. The Forked Road: Canada, 1939-1957 (1976) standard survey
- Cuff, R. D. and Granatstein, J. L. Canadian-American Relations in Wartime: From the Great War to the Cold War. (1975). 205 pp.
- Dawson, R.M. William Lyon Mackenzie King: A Political Biography. Vol. 1: 1874-1923, (1958) online edition
- Donaghy, Greg, ed. Canada and the Early Cold War, 1943-1957 (1998) online edition
- Dziuban, Stanley W. Military Relations between the United States and Canada, 1939-1945 (1959) online edition
- Eayrs James. In Defence of Canada. 5 vols. 1964- 1983. the standard history of defense policy
- English, John, and J. O. Stubbs, eds. Mackenzie King: Widening the Debate, (1977), 257pp; 11 essays by scholars
- Esberey, Joy E. Knight of the Holy Spirit: A Study of William Lyon Mackenzie King. (1980). 245 pp. a psychobiography stressing his spirituality
- Ferns, Henry, Bernard Ostry, and John Meisel. The Age of Mackenzie King (1976), 396pp; scholarly biography to 1919; excerpt and text search
- Granatstein, J. L. Canada's War: The Politics of the Mackenzie King Government, 1939-1945 (1975)
- Granatstein, J. L. Conscription in the Second World War, 1939-1945;: A study in political management (1969)
- Granatstein, J. L. Mackenzie King: His life and world (1977)
- Hou, Charles, and Cynthia Hou, eds. Great Canadian Political Cartoons, 1915 to 1945. (2002). 244pp
- McGregor, F. A. The Fall & Rise of Mackenzie King, 1911-1919 (1962) online edition
- Neatby, H. Blair. "King, William Lyon Mackenzie," Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Neatby, H. Blair. The Politics of Chaos: Canada in the Thirties (1972) online edition
- Neatby, H. Blair. William Lyon Mackenzie King, 1924-1932: The Lonely Heights (1963) standard biography, [online edition
- Neatby, H. Blair. William Lyon Mackenzie King: 1932-1939: the Prism of Unity (1976)] standard biography online edition
- Neatby, H. Blair. "King and the Historians," in John English and J. O. Stubbs, eds. Mackenzie King: Widening the Debate, (1977)
- Nolan, Brian. King's War: Mackenzie King and the Politics of War, 1939-1945. (1988). 208 pp.
- Perras, Galen Roger. Franklin Roosevelt and the Origins of the Canadian-American Security Alliance, 1933-1945: Necessary, but Not Necessary Enough (1998) online edition
- Stacey, C. P. Arms, Men and Governments: The War Policies of Canada, 1939-1945 (1970) standard survey
- Stacey, C. P. A Very Double Life: The Private World of Mackenzie King (1985) excerpt and text search
- Stacey, C. P. Canada and the Age of Conflict: A History of Canadian External Policies. Vol. 2: 1921-1948, The Mackenzie King Era. (1981). 484 pp. the standard history of foreign affairs
- Thompson, John H., and Allan Seager. Canada 1922-1939. (1985). standard survey
- Wardhaugh, Robert A. Mackenzie King and the Prairie West. (2000). 328 pp.
- Whitaker, Reginald. The Government Party: Organizing and Financing the Liberal Party of Canada, 1930-1958 (1977)
- Whitaker, Reginald. "Political Thought and Political Action in Mackenzie King." Journal of Canadian Studies 1978-1979 13(4): 40-60. Issn: 0021-9495
- The Canadian Annual Review of Public Affairs (annual, 1901-1938), full text for 1920 online and downloadable
- Mackenzie King, W. L. Industry and Humanity: A Study in the Principles Under-Lying Industrial Reconstruction (1918) online edition; also full text online and downloadable
- The diaries of William Lyon Mackenzie King, 50,000 pages, typescript; fully searchable
- Pickersgill, J.W., and Donald F. Forster, The Mackenzie King Record. 4 vols. Vol. 1: 1939-1944 and Vol. 2: 1944-1945 (University of Toronto Press, 1960); and Vol. 3: 1945-1946 online and Vol. 4: 1946-1947 online (University of Toronto Press, 1970). from King's private diary
- Riddell, Walter A. ed; Documents on Canadian Foreign Policy, 1917-1939 Oxford University Press, 1962 806 pages of documents