The intention is to list each author at least twice, once in the year they produced their first significant work, and once in the year of their death. They may also be listed in the year of their greatest or best-known work, and, if they wrote in both poetry and prose, in the first year of their alternative medium, or their best production in that medium.
If the publication was originally in a magazine, it will be listed in that year, not the year of the book.
- Felicia Hemans d.
- William Cobbett d.
- Dickens, The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club
- Marryat, Mr Midshipman Easy
- Caroline Norton, A Voice from the Factories
- Queen Victoria came to the throne
- Carlyle, The French Revolution
- Thackeray, The Yellowplush Papers
- Lockhart, Life of Scott
- Elizabeth Barrett, The Seraphim, and other poems
- Lady Charlotte Guest's translation of The Mabinogion
- Surtees, Jorrocks' Jaunts and Jollities
- L.E.L. (Letitia Elizabeth Landon) died
- Ainsworth, Jack Sheppard
- L.E.L. (posthumously) The Zenana and minor poems
- Barham, The Ingoldsby Legends, 1st series
- Browning, Bells and Pomegranates no. 1 (Pippa Passes)
- Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
- Tennyson, Poems
- Richard Horne, Orion
- Macaulay, Essays contributed to the Edinburgh Review
- Ruskin, Modern Painters i
- George Borrow, The Bible in Spain
- Southey d.
- William Barnes, Poems of Rural Life in the Dorset Dialect
- Kinglake, Eothen
- Thomas Hood d.
- Barham d.
- Bronte sisters, Poems by Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell
- Edward Lear, A Book of Nonsense
- Anne Bronte, Agnes Grey
- Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
- Thackeray, Vanity Fair
- Elizabeth Gaskell, Mary Barton
- Charles Kingsley, Yeast
- Thackeray, Vanity Fair
- Emily Bronte d.
- Arnold, The Strayed Reveller and Other Poems
- Anne Bronte d.
- Maria Edgeworth d.
- Thomas Lovell Beddoes d.
- Thomas Lovell Beddoes, Death's Jest Book (expanded version) published posthumously
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese
- Tennyson, In Memoriam
- Wordsworth d.
- Wordworth, The Prelude published posthumously
- Meredith, Poems
- Dickens, Hard Times
- Patmore, The Betrothal (part 1 of The Angel in the House)
- Trollope, The Warden
- Charlotte Bronte d.
- Thomas Hughes, Tom Brown's Schooldays
- Arthur Hugh Clough, Amours de Voyage
- Dean Farrar, Eric, or Little by Little
- George MacDonald, Phantastes
- Adelaide Anne Procter, Legends and Lyrics
- George Eliot, Adam Bede
- Edward Fitzgerald, The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám
- Meredith, The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
- Leigh Hunt d.
- Macaulay d.
- Charles Reade, The Cloister and the Hearth
- Palgrave, The Golden Treasury
- E.B. Browning d.
- A.H. Clough d.
- Christina Rossetti, Goblin Market and other poems
- Jean Ingelow, Poems
- Kingsley, The Water Babies
- Sheridan LeFanu, The House by the Churchyard
- Margaret Oliphant, Salem Chapel
- Thackeray d.
- John Clare d.
- Walter Savage Landor d.
- Adelaide Procter d.
- Surtees d.
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Swinburne, Atalanta in Calydon
- Swinburne, Poems and Ballads
- Augusta Webster, Dramatic Studies
- Keble d.
- Thomas Love Peacock d.
- R. Browning, The Ring and the Book
- Arnold, Culture and Anarchy
- Blackmore, Lorna Doone
- W.S. Gilbert, Bab Ballads
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Poems
- Dickens d.
- George Eliot, Middlemarch
- Hardy, Desperate Remedies
- Samuel Butler, Erewhon
- Walter Pater, Studies in the Renaissance
- Amelia Edwards, Untrodden Peaks and Unfrequented Valleys
- Sheridan LeFanu d.
- Bulwer Lytton d.
- James Thomson, The City of Dreadful Night
- Trollope, The Way We Live Now
- Kingsley d.
- Morris, The Story of Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs
- Henry James, Roderick Random
- Anna Sewell, Black Beauty
- Richard Jefferies, The Gamekeeper at Home
- Anna Sewell d.
- R.L. Stevenson, Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
- George Gissing, Workers in the Dawn
- Joseph Shorthouse, John Inglesant
- George Eliot d.
- Amy Levy, Xantippe and other Verse
- R.L. Stevenson, Treasure Island
- Borrow d.
- Carlyle d.
- Disraeli d.
- F. Anstey, Vice Versa
- Ainsworth d.
- D.G. Rossetti d.
- Trollope d.
- Jefferies, The Story of my Heart
- Michael Field, Calirrhoë and Fair Rosamund
- Charles Reade d.
- Rider Haggard, King Solomon's Mines
- Pinero, The Magistrate
- Stevenson, A Child's Garden of Verses
- William Barnes d.
- Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
- Richard Jefferies d.
- Kipling, Plain Tales from the Hills
- Arnold d.
- Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat
- Yeats, The Wanderings of Oisin
- Robert Browning d.
- Wilkie Collins d.
- Gerard Manley Hopkins d.
- Amy Levy d.
- Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles
- Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
- Kinglake d.
- Kipling, Barrack Room Ballads
- Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan (performance)
- Yeats, The Countess Cathleen
- Tennyson d.
- Amelia Edwards d.
- E.F. Benson, Dodo
- Pinero, The Second Mrs Tanqueray
- Yeats, The Celtic Twilight
- du Maurier, Trilby
- George and Weedon Grossmith, The Diary of a Nobody
- Anthony Hope, The Prisoner of Zenda
- George Moore, Esther Waters
- Pater d.
- Christina Rossetti d.
- R.L. Stevenson d.
- Augusta Webster d.
- Conrad, Almayer's Folly
- H.G. Wells, The Time Machine
- A.E. Housman, A Shropshire Lad
- William Morris d.
- Coventry Patmore d.
- Jean Ingelow d.
- Hardy, Wessex Poems
- Wilde, The Ballad of Reading Gaol
- Aubrey Beardsley d.
- Lewis Carroll d.
- Somerville and Ross, Some Experiences of an Irish RM
- John Ruskin d.
- Oscar Wilde d.
- Arnold Bennett, Anna of the Five Towns
- Kipling, Kim
- Queen Victoria d.
- J.M. Barrie, The Admirable Crichton
- De La Mare, Songs of Childhood
- Beatrix Potter, Peter Rabbit
- Samuel Butler d.