I am a career railway engineer with 24 years of experience in the planning, design and implementation of electric traction systems. My expertise covers both a.c. and d.c. electrification systems, and with both overhead line and contact rail. I have worked on both sides of the fence; for the Authority (as Client) and for Consultants (as Contractor).
I have been involved with every phase of electrification projects including feasibility study, computer modeling, load flow studies, conceptual design, detailed design, writing of technical specifications, reviewing Contractor submissions, supervision of site implementation works and providing technical support to operations and maintenance staff.
- Design of power supplies for electric traction systems.
- Management of electrification design (substations, power studies)
- Report writing.
- Tender Preparation (Client), Offer Writing (Contractor) and Tender Evaluation (Client)
- Use of computer software (power supply simulation, mathematical modelling).
- Specification writing (studies, equipment, testing & commissioning)
- Knowledge of standards applicable to railway electrification
- Equipment Testing (circuit breakers, transformers, rectifiers)
- System Commissioning
- Bachelor of Engineering, BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hatfield Polytechnic (1989)
- 1989-1994 British Railways Board
- 1994-1995 PowerTrack (BR Infrastructure Services)
- 1995-2006 Atkins (Rail)
- 2006-2010 Network Rail
- 2010-Present HNTB Corporation