United Kingdom nuclear weapons/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to United Kingdom nuclear weapons, or pages that link to United Kingdom nuclear weapons or to this page or whose text .
- Nuclear weapon : A weapon that produces extremely powerful explosions from principles involving subatomic particle reactions, rather than the chemical reactions among atoms that power conventional explosives
- United Kingdom : Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Hurricane (fission device) : Add brief definition or description
- Royal Navy : By long naval tradition, when there is no qualifier but "Royal", the navy being discussed is that of the United Kingdom.
- Royal Air Force : The British military service primarily responsible for air warfare
- Blue Danube (nuclear weapon) : The first deployed (November 1953) British nuclear weapon, a gravity bomb implosion device carried by heavy bombers; design derived both from the British Hurricane physics package and the U.S. Mark 4
- Red Beard (nuclear weapon) : U.K. 15-25 KT nuclear gravity bomb intended as a tactical nuclear weapon
- Violet Club (nuclear weapon) : Interim high-yield British nuclear weapon, in service 1956-1958, which met, through engineering and operational compromises, a gap before more advanced, and then true thermonuclear weapons were available
- Red Snow (nuclear weapon) : A British-built fusion device derived from the design of the U.S. B28 (nuclear weapon), and used as a physics package for the British Yellow Sun Mark 2
- Yellow Sun family(nuclear weapon) : Add brief definition or description
- Green Grass (nuclear weapon) : Add brief definition or description
- Green Bamboo (nuclear weapon) : First weapon in the British Yellow Sun family of nuclear weapons; megaton-range gravity bomb; built but never test-fired; said to have been a layer cake (nuclear weapon) rather than a Teller-Ulam "true" thermonuclear device
- Yellow Sun Mark 1 (nuclear weapon) : Second weapon in the British Yellow Sun family of nuclear weapons; eventually used a Green Grass physics package in a Yellow Sun Mark 1 casing; 37 were stockpiled between 1961 and 1963; some physics packages were recycled Violet Clubs
- Yellow Sun Mark 2 (nuclear weapon) : Third weapon in the British Yellow Sun family of nuclear weapons; eventually used a Red Snow (nuclear weapon) physics package in a Yellow Sun Mark 2 casing; 83 were stockpiled between 1961 and 1966
- WE.177 (nuclear weapon) : The final series of British-developed nuclear gravity bombs; "A" version was boosted fission in the low kiloton range, configured for bombing and as a depth charge; "C" version was a 200 KT thermonuclear weapon
- British Army : That part of the United Kingdom's armed forces with principal responsibility for land warfare
- Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons : The principal worldwide agreement for controlling the spread of nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons technology, without inhibiting the peaceful use of nuclear energy