From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Europe : Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Kiev : Capital and largest city of Ukraine, located along the Dnieper River, with an estimated population of 2.8 million people.
- Crimea : A peninsula and republic of Ukraine in eastern Europe located on the north side of the Black Sea.
- Holodomor : Man-made famine in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic between 1932 and 1933, that killed up to 7.5 million Ukrainians.
- Soviet Union : A Communist state, which took over the Russian Empire, after the Russian Revolution of 1917 that existed from 1922 to 1991; the major part now extant as the Russian Federation