From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Japan : East Asian country of about 3,000 islands; one of the world's largest economies; population about 125,000,000.
See also prefectures
- Ehime prefecture : (愛媛県 Ehime-ken) area of Japan located on the island of Shikoku; population about 1,500,000.
- Kagawa prefecture : (香川県 Kagawa-ken) area of Japan located on the island of Shikoku; population about 1,050,000.
- Tokushima prefecture : (徳島県 Tokushima-ken) area of Japan located on the island of Shikoku; population about 850,000.
- Kochi prefecture : (高知県 Koochi-ken) area of Japan located on the island of Shikoku; population about 800,000.
- Honshu : (本州 Honshuu) largest of the islands of Japan, divided into five regions and including the cities of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima; population about 103,000,000.
- Hokkaido : (北海道 Hokkaidoo) second-largest and northernmost of the main islands of Japan, including the cities of Sapporo, Hakodate and Asahikawa; population about 5,500,000.
- Kyushu : (九州 Kyuushuu) third-largest and westernmost of the main islands of Japan, divided into seven regions and including the cities of Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kumamoto and Kagoshima; population about 13,000,000.
- Ryukyu Islands : (南西諸島 Nansei Shotoo 'Southwest Islands') subtropical Japanese island chain in the East China Sea, east of Taiwan; divided between Okinawa and Kagoshima prefectures and home to the Ryukyuan languages and people.