Oswald Pohl/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Oswald Pohl, or pages that link to Oswald Pohl or to this page or whose text .
- National Socialism : The totalitarian ideology espoused by Adolf Hitler and the German Nazi Party; its program was first stated formally in 1920, drafted by Hitler, Gottfried Feder and Anton Drexler
- Schutzstaffel : A Nazi German organization, the "SS". technically part of the National Socialist German Workers' Party but in many respects a "state within a state", its functions intermingled with government offices in a manner characteristic of Adolf Hitler's desire to keep final control. While it is best known for its security and genocidal operations, it also had major economic and regular military roles, a far growth from its original role as Hitler's personal bodyguard
- WVHA : The economic and administrative organization of Nazi Germany's SS, whose responsibilities included the actual operation of concentration camps
- Nazi concentration camps : The system of concentration and extermination camps of Nazi Germany, with a mixed chain of command but principally under the WVHA economic administration, under Oswald Pohl, of the SS; as part of The Holocaust, they killed millions of Jews, but also Soviet prisoners of war and others seen as undersirable by the Nazis; they complemented killing activities in the field, such as Einsatzgruppen
- RSHA : Nazi Germany's Reich Main Security Organization, a division of the SS, first headed by Reinhard Heydrich and then Ernst Kaltenbrunner; included the Gestapo and SD
- Hannah Arendt : (1906–1975) Political philosopher, political scientist, and commentator; a German ancestry to the U.S.; major academic works include The Origins of Totalitarianism, The Human Condition, On Revolution and The Life of the Mind; well known for book Eichmann in Jerusalem containing the phrase "the banality of evil"
- Hermann Goering : prominent Nazi politician, effectively #2 in status for most of the war and Commander-in-Chief of the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) during WW II. Sentenced to death by the International Military Tribunal (Nuremberg) but committed suicide shortly before execution
- Reinhard Heydrich : First commander of the RSHA of the SS, then Nazi Protector of Bohemia and Moravia until his assassination
- Adolf Eichmann : A key leader in the planning and operation of the Holocaust, who escaped Germany but was subsequently apprehended by Israeli agents in Argentina, and tried and executed by an Israeli court