Muhammad Omar/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Muhammad Omar, or pages that link to Muhammad Omar or to this page or whose text .
- Afghanistan : A Islamic republic in Central Asia, with an unstable but elected government; borders China, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan
- Afghanistan War (1978-92) : A civil war in Afghanistan that matched the Soviet Union and its Afghan allies against a coalition of anti-Communist groups called the mujahideen, supported from the outside by the United States, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia.
- Afghanistan War (2001-) : Beginning on October 7, 2001, in response to the 9-11 attacks, military operations against the Taliban and al-Qaeda by United States and NATO forces
- Taliban : Salafist Islamic militia, governing Afghanistan 1996–2001; still fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Taliban in Pakistan : Activities of the Taliban movement to take political control of parts of Pakistan, rather than using Pakistan as a sanctuary to operate in Afghanistan
- Kandahar : A city in the southeastern part of Aghanistan, the capital of Kandahar Province (the largest in the country), and, during the Taliban rule, their headquarters
- Quetta : Capital of the Balochistan Province of Pakistan. It is believed to be the headquarters of the Taliban Quetta shura governing body under Mullah Muhammad Omar.
- Wakil Muttawakil : Former Taliban foreign minister and aide to Mullah Omar before the 9-11 attacks; now in Afghanistan in house arrest and considered a possible moderate Taliban for negotiations
- Mohammad Qasim Halimi : A religious scholar, now head of administration for the Afghan Supreme Court; had been director of protocol in the Taliban foreign ministry
- Osama bin Laden : Radical jihadist who, with Ayman al-Zawahiri, founded a group known as al-Qaeda, which is credited with a series of terrorist attacks.
- Salafism : A strict branch of Sunni Islam, dedicated to the restoration of the Caliphate, often by means of armed jihad
- Inter-Services Intelligence : The military intelligence and covert action organization of Pakistan; historically contained strong Islamist elements but also concerned with India-Pakistan security issues