A mansion can be:
- A dwelling; a house or room(s) in a house
- A place in heaven; “the mansions”
- A manor house; the residence of the Lord of the Manor; the principal dwelling on an estate; also generally used as a generic term to refer to any great house, a large and seemingly opulent residence.
- A Japanese condominium
- Formerly in astronomy, a place in the heavens; any one of the 28 divisions of the moon's monthly path
- in astrology one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
A mansion is a large house, but beyond that its use is subjective and can be pejorative: today, the word is mainly used by those in the real estate trade.
For a discussion of the history and use of the word mansion, the origin and development of the concept of mansions and the composition of their household staff, see great house.
For specific residential styles that are often or may be referred to as mansions, see: