From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Islamist, or pages that link to Islamist or to this page or whose text .
- Islam : Religion founded by Muhammad whose sacred book is the Qur'an (Koran).
- Sharia : The Muslim system of law and rule of conduct inspired by the Qur'an, the Sunna, traditional law systems, and the Hadiths.
- Political philosophy : Branch of philosophy that deals with fundamental questions about politics.
- Theocracy : Add brief definition or description
- Al-wala’ wa’l-bara’ : A Muslim, primarily Salafist belief that the faithful should show exclusive allegiance to Allah and Islam, and repudiation of unbelief and unbelievers, not associating with non-Muslims
- Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi : A Salafist theologian with much influence on Jihad, currently in Jordan; some affiliation with al-Qaeda but not necessarily in full agreement with their approach
- Sayyid Qutb : Born in 1906, radicalized in 1951, and executed in 1966, an influential theorist of Salafist revolutionary Islam; considered one of the two spiritual fathers of al-Qaeda and the mentor of Ayman al-Zawahiri
- Salafism : A strict branch of Sunni Islam, dedicated to the restoration of the Caliphate, often by means of armed jihad
- Shirk : An Arabic word literally meaning polytheism, but interpreted by some Salafist clerics, such as Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi, to include allegiance to any government, even ostensibly Islamist, which does not follow strict Sharia law.
- Ibn Tamiyya : A medieval Sunni Islamic theologian of the Hanbali school, who set the theoretical framework on which modern Salafism depends
- Wahhabism : A socially conservative branch of Sunni Islam, strongest in the House of Saud, which rules Saudi Arabia
- Wilayat al-faqih : A controversial concept in Shi'a Islam, "authority of the jurisprudent", developed by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini as the basis for clerical rule in Iran; by no means universally accepted by Iraqi and other Shi'a
- 1979 Islamic revolution (Iran) : Add brief definition or description
- Hizb ut-Tahir : An international Islamist movement intent on reestablishing the Caliphate and Sharia in traditional Muslim regions, but with a public policy of nonviolence
- Hezbollah : An Islamist and Shi'a group, centered in Lebanon, which has conducted terrorism there and worldwide, but also acts a shadow government and provides public services
- Islamic Party of Afghanistan : A Pashtun-dominated Afghan political party, split into factions variously part of the government (Hezb-i-Islam) under Yunis Khalis versus Hezb-i-Islam Gulbuddin under Gulbuddin Hekmatyar (HIG), which cooperates with the Taliban but is also negotiating with the Karzai government
- Jamaat-i-Islami : Pakistan's oldest Islamist religious party, marginal in national politics but more powerful in the semi-autonomous frontier provinces; possibly affiliated with the Taliban
- Jamiat-ul-Ulama-i-Islam : A Deoband Islamist and Pashtun, although not separatist, opposition party of Pakistan, with its greatest strength in the Balochistan Province and Northwest Frontier Province
- Muslim Brotherhood : An Islamic political group, formed in Egypt and increasingly part of the political system there, which has worldwide branches; it may be moving from a Salafist ideology to a more mulilateral one
- Al-Shabaab (insurgency) : An Islamist group in Somalia, accused of having generic terrorism and specific al-Qaeda affiliations
- Taliban : Salafist Islamic militia, governing Afghanistan 1996–2001; still fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Hafiz Assad : Add brief definition or description
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk : (1881 - 1938) Turkish statesman, president from 1923 to 1938, who modernized and secularized Turkey.
- Saddam Hussein : (1937–2006) Deposed and executed ruler of Iraq.
- David Horowitz : (1939—) American conservative activist who underwent a conversion from the New Left of the 1960s and 1970s, to become an intense critic of liberalism, and later Islamist thought, in popular culture; founder of the David Horowitz Freedom Center and various watchdog organizations; "favorite columnist", American Conservative Union.
- David Horowitz Freedom Center : Originally founded by David Horowitz to form a conservative presence in Hollywood, the organization is active on a number of fronts, such as DiscoverTheNetworks, to fight what it considers a combined leftist and Islamist trend in popular culture and academia
- Militant Islam Monitor : An online resource "documenting the activities and identities of Islamist individuals and groups in the United States and abroad". quoting Eliot Cohen that the "the War on Terror is World War IV", and Daniel Pipes saying "The enemy in this war is not terrorism, but militant Islam."
- Jihad : Literally meaning "struggle", a Muslim concept that can refer to an inward-directed personal process to submit to God's will, or to an external combat with the enemies of Islam
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Pan-Arab nationalism : Add brief definition or description