From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Hormone : A chemical director of biological activity that travels through some portion of the body as a messenger.
- Diabetes mellitus : Relative or absolute lack of insulin leading to uncontrolled carbohydrate metabolism.
- Diabetes mellitus type 1 : Insulin dependent diabetes or juvenile diabetes.
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 : Medical condition characterised by glucose intolerance and hyperglycemia
- Gestational diabetes : Glucose intolerance which occurs in pregnancy, usually noticed between the 24th and 28th weeks of expectancy.